Author Topic: Temporary Firewall Pad?  (Read 4058 times)

batman

Temporary Firewall Pad?
« on: May 14, 2015, 05:23:33 »
Hello All-

When I purchased my car, it came with a new "to be installed" diamond pattern firewall pad.

I removed the old pad as it was in pretty bad condition (quite a time consuming job).

However, I have not yet installed the new one because I haven't decided when I will have the car resprayed (and whether I will also have the engine bay resprayed as well). Maybe in a year or so.

I have three questions:
1. Are there any downsides (risks) associated with driving without a firewall pad, (I guess other than the risk of fire I did not think so)?
2. Should I try to some how temporarily attached/fix the firewall pad in such a way that it can be removed for a future engine bay respray - and if so
3. Has anyone temporarily attached a firewall pad and if so how?

many thanks

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: Temporary Firewall Pad?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 14:39:30 »
I think the downsides will be increased noise and some increased heat. I have seen some "restored" cars that have left the firewall painted. I would not think leaving it bare would be that big of a deal, but will be interested to see what others have to type.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 22:25:53 »
Mark,

if noise and heat is too much for you then I would suggest that you use some strategically placed double sided tape and put it in as the pad you have is one of the “plastic” repro ones and will not tear easily or pull apart very easily.  A temp fix will still have you taking apart some of the hoses and wiring so as Jon suggests the easiest may be to go without and grin and bear it!!

Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G
2005 MB A200
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Electric
2024 Volvo EX30 Electric

alchemist

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, NY, GRAND ISLAND
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 16:33:37 »
I would drive it without the fire wall pad. Other than the noise, the extra heat can be dealt with. There are pads on the fire wall inside the car, particularly behind the heater blower housing and in both leg room, left and right.

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 17:03:11 »
If the heat is a problem and appearance is not, you could cut and install some Dynamat.  Instead of removing all of the backing, you'd cut small triangles off of the corner of the backing and apply it.  That way, when you want to remove it you've only got a few patches to clean off.  Sort of depends on what you consider temporary and whether you'll let anyone look under the hood/bonnet before the re-paint.
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

batman

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 00:05:40 »
Thanks Ray - good idea.

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 14:54:32 »
Hi,
years ago when i painted the engine bay in my 66 I never re installed the firewall pad.  (I have one)

I actually kind of like the look without the pad.   
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230