Author Topic: Fuel pump cover  (Read 3936 times)

rjfurlan

Fuel pump cover
« on: June 02, 2015, 19:23:15 »
How many types of covers are there? The one I got from SLS to fit new short pump does not fit. The mounting bracket and pump are in the way. The second image show one I saw on ebay. Notice how it goes out farther that the mounting tab. It looks like this one will fit?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 19:27:31 by rjfurlan »

George Des

Re: Fuel pump cover
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 14:45:07 »
Looks like you have a 250SL. My guess is your car was originally equipped with the long style fuel pump. The way the older cars were retrofitted with the new style pump was to use the old cross bracket from the old pump to connect to the adapter. This makes for a longer total package but still won't allow it to be used with the old style shield, so many older models fitted with the new style pumps have had the shield removed. You may want to take a look at how the new style pumps are fitted on the newer model 113s. My guess is they did not use the old cross piece from the long style pump and this allows the shield you have to fit properly.

rjfurlan

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 23:42:58 »
Here is how it is mounted. The second picture shows the mounting screw for the cover at the very top of the image,  it is barely past (if any) the edge of the mounting bracket for the fuel pump. The whole pump needs to move toward the front of the car to clear the cover.

Is the pump not mounted correctly?

If i do not use the upper bracket i think it can be mounted so it clears the cover but I do not think it is low enough then.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 00:59:58 by rjfurlan »

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 08:34:47 »
Quote from: rjfurlan
.../...The whole pump needs to move toward the front of the car to clear the cover.../...
That is right. You need the later type upper bracket, this is offset so the pump will mount more toward the front.
I use a borrowed picture here, to show the part.
The one in your picture is the early type upper bracket, correct for a 230SL.
The one originally fitted to your car (to mount the long type pump) would do the trick I think
/Hans in Sweden
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 08:39:56 by mbzse »
/Hans S

George Des

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 12:02:51 »
Hans,

That makes sense. Have seen many different mounting mods used when going from the old style to the new style and all not compatible with re-installing a pump shield if not careful. When my original long style pump went out and was replaced with a short style pump,  many years ago, the mechanic simply eliminated the shield. During my resto, I went back to the old style pump and re-installed the original shield using all the original mounting hardware

rjfurlan

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 13:29:07 »
Thank you so much Hans. Great picture. That is what i needed. My car came with no mounting brackets. I had a hard time findind the one I have and got it from SLS. Any I idea where to get the later? type bracket?

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 16:43:41 »
Here is another photo that I grabbed from the web .... but I am not sure whether the pump inlet is below the tank outlet. It could be sitting too high?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 16:47:51 by 66andBlue »
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)