Author Topic: Is fender Molding the same on both sides?  (Read 2806 times)

ddodson1

Is fender Molding the same on both sides?
« on: July 23, 2015, 12:59:11 »
I need to replace a missing piece of chrome fender molding (behind well) on my 1965 230SL.  I was lucky enough to find one cheap from a car being parted out, but I need the other side.  Is the part interchangeable between sides or do I need to identify driver or passenger side?  If different, how do I identify which side the piece I have goes on?  The piece I have lines up with the rivet holes on either side and seems like it would fit either.

I've found a few sources for entire sets of chrome trim, but not a single piece.  Any suggestions on where to source just the one molding piece without spending $400-500?

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Re: Is fender Molding the same on both sides?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 13:45:16 »
the moldings carry different part numbers left to right however K and K manufacturing sells reproductions for $95 to $135 depending on location.

mmizesko

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Gold
  • USA, OH, New Albany
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 14:42:19 »
The chrome is chrome plated thick brass, and are curved to fit the steel rear quarter panels.  Those curves are different for each side, as are the cut ends.

Check ebay to see if you can find an original without too much pitting or scratches.  I see them there every couple of months or so.

Mike Mizesko
Columbus, OH
1970 280SL 291H Dark Olive

ddodson1

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 16:01:49 »
That makes sense.  The piece I bought from a parted car had been re-chromed and is completely flat.  Maybe it was straightened when it was re-chromed.  I assume I can gently bend it to conform to either side.  If I can find another piece for one side I guess I can shape the one I have to the curve of the other side.  Though I don't get how the cut ends are different.  They seems to be identical on both ends of the one I have.