Author Topic: Dashboard wood removal, left side  (Read 16128 times)

gugel

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Rolling Hills Estates
    • CPE Site
Dashboard wood removal, left side
« on: May 07, 2015, 04:30:25 »
I know this topic has been discussed before, but the best I can find is this statement in the Technical Manual:

"Now you will have access to the blue plastic nuts holding the left trim piece. Remove them. Cover the top of the dash to prevent scratches then carefully remove the wood."

Is it really this easy?!?  It seems to me that there's not enough space between the windshield and the instrument cowl to remove the wood without undoing the top of the windshield and tiling it out, as suggested by Gernold, and as I did when I installed the wood.   What am I missing?

Chris

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
Re: Dashboard wood removal, left side
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 05:23:41 »
Hi,
if you remove the rev counter you have access to the 3 plastic nuts and can remove the wood w/o removing the windshield.
...WRe

rutger kohler

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • New Zealand, Auckland, Auckland
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 08:09:59 »
Hi, removing the tachometer as suggested is good, my car is a RHD and I did this, I had to remove the chrome air vent plate first to get in behind the tachomete, this is held in place by two studs without nuts on them. What you have to watch is the long threaded studs, attached to the wood, as you remove the wood.  I found the wood lifted up verticall to clear the studs from the top of the dashboard ok but the real trouble starts as you manouvre the wood away from the windscreen.

It is very easy for the end of these studs to dig into the leather/mbtex over the instrument binnacle and drag leaving a bad scratch (I know to my cost).  When I put the  wood back I ran several rounds of masking tape over the ends of the threads and then removed them just before dropping verttically into the dashboard again.
1969 280 SL Manual gear shift
1972 280SE 3.5 auto

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 13:02:49 »
When I reinstalled my wood I used a piece of light aluminium to cover the instrument binnacle - cut up a beer can after disposing of the contents, taped the edges so that they did not scratch and then placed that over the binnacle.  I also put a piece of tape over the screw ends and the whole thing slid into place somehow by pushing on the screws with a long screwdriver a bit at a time.  Initially it did not look like it would work but it did. 
Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
83 VF 1100C
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50
12 Pro 4X

mmizesko

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Gold
  • USA, OH, New Albany
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 13:50:15 »
Chris,

Yes, you have to take the instruments out of the dash to get to the "blue" nuts.

All of the techniques should be used.  The thin aluminum will work great, and prevent gouging the dash.

You will have to bend the wood a bit, so if the veneer is flaking off, be careful, as it could crack or separate.

Not super easy unless you have the windshield out.

Mike Mizesko
1970 280SL 291H Dark Olive

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 17:25:04 »
I think you need to remove the wood before the windshield goes in so having the windshield out to replace the wood may not work out for you.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

UJJ

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Grass Valley
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 13:57:18 »
I shortened the studs before I re-installed the wood. I do not know why they are so long. This helped quite a bit to install.
Ok, this may not help you now, but the second time around it will. You'll never know...
Urban
Urban Janssen
Grass Valley, CA
1968 280 SL - 4speed manual
173 anthracite grey

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 22:55:43 »

Chris,

Have the rev counter out and the speaker grille, then you'll get access to all three blue nuts for the left wooden piece.

It worked nicely in my case,
the dashboard wood just went in without any help of beer cans or so. No scrathes, etc.

Depends on the car, every 113 is slightly different there (hand-built).
However, in my case I reused the original dash wood pieces. No aftermarket.

Achim
Achim
(Germany)

gugel

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Rolling Hills Estates
    • CPE Site
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 01:16:22 »
Thanks for all the answers.  I'm still not convinced, though, that I can get the wood out and in without undoing the top of the windshield and tilting it out (the bottom needs to be in before the wood goes in).  That's the way I did it oriiginally and as I remember, even then the clearance was tight.  We'll see.

Chris

alchemist

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, NY, GRAND ISLAND
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 02:12:35 »
I was able to remove the LHS wood without removing the windshield. As you already read, the tachometer and the speedometer have to come out. The third blue nut is actually hidden behind the speedometer. There is no need of removing the speaker if you are not intended to remove the RHS wood. To remove the wood from the dash, you have to remove the A-post on the left side by removing the 2 screws. Once the A-post is removed, the wood can be easily removed. However, you have to protect the leather by using a thin Al piece. I hope this helps.

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 02:43:38 »
When I reinstalled my wood I used a piece of light aluminium to cover the instrument binnacle - cut up a beer can after disposing of the content (...)

Ian,
just curious in what manner did you dispose of the content? ;D

If internally, did it enhance your craftsmanship skills?
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

batman

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 03:56:28 »
PHOTOS: It seems that quite a few have performed this exercise of wood removal. from the dash. Did anyone take any photos showing the various steps in the removal/reinstall process that could be included in the Technical Manual in the relevant section for Dash??

If not - then maybe the next person to attempt could take a series of photos.

sandcrab59

• Silver
  • USA, MA, Lunenburg
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 23:55:31 »
Its been 10 years since I removed my dashwood wood.
I believe most of the dash was removed. I do remember carefully playing with left piece and it did come out.
Now the trick to put the dash wood back in.

You cut off 1/4 of an inch off the bottom the screws and if you can find a blank credit card (one that is imprinted with your info is no good)
You place it under the cut off screw and carefully slide it into place.
This was explained to me a few years ago by someone who does it all the time.
This should help.
T
71 280SL-8  Euro
67 250 SL
72 220 D
1982 300 SD
1983 300SD
1985 300SD
1931 Model A Ford Roadster
1997 Corvette C5

jpinet

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 03:28:41 »
For sure, the A post material has to be removed first before you can get your wood out or back in. I was able to do this with my windshield in place and with the screws at their original length. But then again, your experience may be different. I'm not sure all cars are perfectly identical and that they came out the assembly line the way Henry Ford saw it ''just as one pin is identical to another''...

alchemist

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, NY, GRAND ISLAND
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2015, 16:25:44 »
PHOTOS: It seems that quite a few have performed this exercise of wood removal. from the dash. Did anyone take any photos showing the various steps in the removal/reinstall process that could be included in the Technical Manual in the relevant section for Dash??

If not - then maybe the next person to attempt could take a series of photos.
Sorry not to have pictures for the removal of the wood. However, if you remove the the A molding (post) at the left side of the windshield, the left wood will be easily lifted up. The A post is pushing down on the wood and by removing it, the pressure will be lifted. By using a common-sense, you should not have any resistance to remove it. Good Luck.

William Dabney

• Junior Level
  • USA, VA, Richmond
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 13:39:13 »
how hard is it to remove the rev counter? i have a 1968 250 sl LHD. i got the right side out am a little intimidated with removing that much other stuff.

mmizesko

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Gold
  • USA, OH, New Albany
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2015, 15:16:38 »
BillyBob,

By right side, you mean the wood?

The tachometer is a little tricky, and there are two primary methods, best described by searching the forum under removing tach, or dash instrument removal.  Basically, you have to come up from underneath, and put your hand up behind it, unscrew the knurled nut that holds the bracket, unscrew the tach cable and then you can pull/push it out of the dash.  You'll probably have to take out the middle instrument cluster to get to the speedo, to get to the blue nuts that hold the left wood piece.  Putting them back is a BI*CH.  There is a sequential process.  While you are at it, make sure you replace bulbs, instrument gaskets, and cables.  And you may want to do an LED bulb upgrade if you are sick of dim lighting.  All this is listed in prior posts.   You just need to do a little searching with the search field.

Thanks for being a full member.

Mike Mizesko
1970 280SL 291H Dark Olive

William Dabney

• Junior Level
  • USA, VA, Richmond
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 22:59:25 »
do you need special tools to remove the rev counter?

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2015, 00:32:01 »
You do not need any special tools. But small hands do help. The access behind the dash is very limited.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

sandcrab59

• Silver
  • USA, MA, Lunenburg
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2015, 10:23:11 »
You remove the radio , then you come in that opening and try and get your hand in , or possibly from the bottom from where the radio was. the only way you can reach behind the instrument cluster is from the passenger side of the car.
Sometimes removing the speaker helps.
It is extremely difficult any other way.
Tom
71 280SL-8  Euro
67 250 SL
72 220 D
1982 300 SD
1983 300SD
1985 300SD
1997 Corvette C5

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2015, 16:44:09 »
..... the only way you can reach behind the instrument cluster is from the passenger side of the car. ...

I would not call it the "only way" because if the speedometer is still there you cannot reach behind the "instrument cluster", that is the unit in the middle,  from the right (passenger) side.

see: http://www.sl113.org/wiki/uploads/Electrical/Main-Instruments.jpg

As Mike wrote, you can remove the tachometer (rev. counter), then the instrument cluster and finally the speedometer; no need to remove the the glove box and the radio.
Of course it all depends on what you want to accomplish.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

sandcrab59

• Silver
  • USA, MA, Lunenburg
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2015, 10:27:51 »
Since I stripped the whole dashboard it was easy the way I described.
Of course that was 10 years ago , at my age who remembers what you did 10 minutes ago.
Tom
71 280SL-8  Euro
67 250 SL
72 220 D
1982 300 SD
1983 300SD
1985 300SD
1997 Corvette C5

William Dabney

• Junior Level
  • USA, VA, Richmond
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2015, 19:15:54 »
i got my wood dash trim out but the shop had it for 10 weeks as i was not a priority. i got lucky that the left side only had 2 blue nuts attached as a previous owner must have dropped the most center one. i gently wedged out the tach after untwisting the cable assembly. to my surprise the tack was wedged into place after someone wrapped duct tape around it ( pretty sue not originally assembled this way) now i have everything back in except the horn assembly which came out so easily i can not fit it on the steering wheel now matter how many ways i flip it around. i will look for pics on goggle after i try this forum. i took pics of my before and after. would some one be kind enough to tell me an easy way to post them? many thanks

batman

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2015, 23:12:03 »
Billybob,

You can add your pics by simply clicking on the "Additional Options" tab when you open a "reply" message and load photos saved on/from your hard drive. Note the size limit per reply.
cheers