Author Topic: Upholstery and Canvas advice needed  (Read 3910 times)

StevenF

• Silver
  • USA, NY, Merrick
Upholstery and Canvas advice needed
« on: November 14, 2015, 16:02:18 »
My 71 280sl is in the shop getting some mechanical work done before I move forward on paint and body work.

I have a few questions: 

1-I want to keep the car as original as possible but feel that if I am going to remove the seals, do I replace the windshield?  The windshield is clear, but looks like it is "peeling" although it is not.

2-Of note: The previous owner replaced the seats in MB-TEX .

I have a few minor cracks in the leather on the dash over the speedometer (top) that you can barely see unless looking through the windshield and a few cracks on the fabric above the rear view mirror--I have heard that there is a product that "fills in the cracks" called Leatherique.  Has anyone used this product with success?

3-if I chose to replace the leather pieces:
a) when do I do them--before we paint or after
b) I have to replace the boot lid cover as well---I see them offered in Leather and Vinyl.  Is there a benefit of one over the other?
c)is the boot lid cover its own piece?  I see them for sale by themselves--do they simply snap in place?
d)which company is the best for fabric?

4) I also want to keep the interior looking like the other parts of the car, by replacing the dash covering, will the colors be very noticeable? 

5) the canvas top is original--do I clean it, fix and replace the seals or do I buy a new one? 
6-)If I buy a new one, which company, and what should I buy?  Stayfast? Sonnendeck?German?  What is the "correct one"

Thanks for the help!

Steven
1971 280sl
Red Metallic
Bamboo MB Tex

DickLewis

Re: Upholstery and Canvas advice needed
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 23:29:26 »
Steve,

You have a lot of questions there.  I am just getting close to finishing the restoration of my 250SL and have had to deal with all these issues.  First I need a little more info before I make recommendations.  You say you want it to be close to original.  Question, was the interior leather in the beginning or MB Tex?

I have used Leatherique with much success but it takes time and the colors might not be perfect unless you do everything.

If you want to do any work on the dash pad or the windshield you will want a new OEM seal, not a reproduction since they just are not as good and that is an important part to keep the water from getting in and staining the wood.

Give me dome more info and I will try to give some more help.

Dick

hauser

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 01:47:21 »
Your peeling windshield is actually delaminating.

StevenF

• Silver
  • USA, NY, Merrick
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 23:18:20 »
everything is leather except the replaced seats (mb TX)
1971 280sl
Red Metallic
Bamboo MB Tex

StevenF

• Silver
  • USA, NY, Merrick
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 23:20:03 »
yes-thats the word--delaminating....
please offer your opinion on my questions
1971 280sl
Red Metallic