Author Topic: Undercoating advice needed  (Read 6660 times)

StevenF

• Silver
  • USA, NY, Merrick
Undercoating advice needed
« on: January 01, 2016, 17:34:27 »
I am looking for advice for an undercoating .

I found these products
http://www.shopwurthusa.com/wurthstorefront//Chemical-Product/Underbody/c/1420?active=true

Which one would you use for the underbody?
From what I have read, the original color was "beige" and no longer made by Wurth.  They make black and gray

Also I heard this product is a good alternative:  and its in beige...
 http://3mcollision.com/3m-rocker-schutz-coating-08874.html

I also heard Mercedes makes a few as well
Body schutz or undercoating: Spray type 0019864610.  Brushable 00098920221.
Cavity wax 000986727010. Wax perservative or Cosmoline 000986427010.
000 989 20 21 protective undercoating

Best Regards
Steven
1971 280sl
Red Metallic
Bamboo MB Tex

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
Re: Undercoating advice needed
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 20:08:10 »
I have used the Wurth products and are good. The SKS stone guard is water based but is extremely durable. Must be sprayed with a gun and depending on which gun you use, can be sprayed more fine or course. The stone guard spray can is a fine texture and solvent based and also good. I bought beige sometime ago and yes, is now discontinued. I believe the original undercoat was beige in color as I saw on my car. Because of that, I would be tempted to use the 3M and should be just fine. Most of their products are good.

From what I saw on my W111, there are places where the seam sealer is brushed on and places where the undercoat is sprayed on. Kind of a mixed bag. 
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 20:15:41 »
U-pol Gravitex through a Sata SKS gun but you could make due with a body schutz gun.  Seams were brushed with a throw away paint brush cut down to 3/4"(19mm) or so.  I have seen white to beige undercoating depending on year but keep in mind all of our cars were treated to a coat of wax based undercoating at the factory over the beige so it will look darker over time.

2 photos 1 with Gravitex and 1 with original showing wax overcoating:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 20:23:47 by Shvegel »

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 20:27:28 »
Here is another with more of a beige color:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 20:32:21 by Shvegel »

Dave H

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Durham
    • Dave H
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 12:49:19 »
Hi Shvegal

I have also gone the same route as yourself and kept the underside off white.
The top and wheel wells etc. being sprayed beige grey metallic.
I was thinking that when the restoration is complete and the car is still on its rotisserie i might further spray the off white underside with "COSMOLENE " weathershed.
Its industrial grade and comes in an aerosol plus it dries to an amber durable wax coating .
Have you had any thoughts on doing this.
Also have you looked on the motoring investment site at the highly original navy blue car.
The underside is clearly original and all done off white and really shows the contrast with the navy blue body colour.
Mercedes 250SL    1967
Mercedes 250SLK  2014
Alfa Romeo 166 3.2 Ti
Fiat 500

silver surfer

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 15:26:07 »
Most of mine is original but where it needed replacing I blended in U-Poll Gravitex in white then went over the whole underside with beige satin 2k paint I had mixed. I used a brush in places to replicate the original finish. I sprayed inside the wheel arches body colour.

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 02:35:19 »
Ashley,
That is a really nice idea for a car that needs spot repairs plus it gives you the appearance of factory undercoating yet it is easy to clean.

Dave,
I have been up in the air about using cosmoline after the restoration.  It never really dries and remains at least a little sticky.  I am afraid it will just become a dirt magnet.  I may borrow a trick I saw on the show Graveyard Cars where instead of dipping the control arms in cosmoline as the factory did they mixed up some tinted clear to mimic the look without the stickyness.