Author Topic: Air Conitioning Fuse  (Read 4226 times)

chumps

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Rosa Valley
Air Conitioning Fuse
« on: January 06, 2016, 20:32:41 »
I had my air conditioning apart to try and fix the '0n' indicator light that was not working. I had it apart but still wired up. I must have shorted something. Everything quit working. To try and figure out what was wrong I ran a hot lead to the Three Speed Switch and everything worked again, So, I must have blown a fuse. I cannot locate a fuse for the air conditioner. I would think that it is an add on fuse do to the fact that the air conditioning is a dealer installed item. Does anyone know where the fuse is, or if there is no fuse, what I might have done to short out the hot lead to unit. Thanks for any help. (you guys have saved me before, maybe you can do it again) Chumps

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
Re: Air Conitioning Fuse
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 05:32:03 »
Hi Chumps, I was just following another thread about AC wiring. http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=23666.0
Poster has an extra small 2 pin fuse box on her passenger fender well we think is for the AC. It looks similar to the small radio fuse boxes but mounted lower down. Look at posters pics on the thread. Yes these were dealer installed so the fuse could be anywhere the tech decided to put it  ??? They usually pull power off the alternator stud to run the system so follow the wiring from the unit through the firewall twards the alternator. Could also be an in-line style fuse
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 05:51:27 by Tyler S. »
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

vande17941

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Irvine
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 03:39:59 »
I had the same thing last month. I traced the power wire all the way up to the fuse box. It had an inline fuse with only three inches of wire between the inline fuse and the fuse box (impossible to get to from under the dash). So, I took off the fuse box cover and removed the fuse box screws, pushed the fuse box into the cabin and accessed it that way. Put in a new wire and in line fuse where it was more accessible.
'66 USA (1967 model Year) 230sl, 4-speed Manual, Driven Like a Real Car! Set up with KYB Stiffer Shocks, and Motor Mounts w Urethane Inserts Underneath, 3-point Belts, Headrests Installed 🚗

1986 560sl Cabernet & Palomino (not recommended)

2001 SLK320 Sport AMG Silver & Black

chumps

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Rosa Valley
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 15:07:33 »
Thank you for your response VANDE17941. Yesterday was the first chance I had to work on the problem, I found the exact same thing you found. Wire with inline fuse leading from air conditioner, under heater box. behind gauges to back of fuse box. Almost impossible to get to. Sounds like your procedure is the way to go. Thanks, Chumps 

vande17941

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Irvine
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 00:56:08 »
Yep...they really put a rediculous setup in there!
'66 USA (1967 model Year) 230sl, 4-speed Manual, Driven Like a Real Car! Set up with KYB Stiffer Shocks, and Motor Mounts w Urethane Inserts Underneath, 3-point Belts, Headrests Installed 🚗

1986 560sl Cabernet & Palomino (not recommended)

2001 SLK320 Sport AMG Silver & Black