Author Topic: Alternator mount  (Read 2587 times)

German Dude

Alternator mount
« on: October 23, 2004, 12:00:06 »
After changing the water pump, I found I could not tighten the alternator lower mount bolt to a point where the alternator would be tight. Also, it seems that in order to get the right belt tension, I have to screw out the tightening bolt almost fully, which seems a bit far given the belt is new.

I take it the mount problem could be solved with new rubber parts down there - can anyone confirm that?

As always, thanks a lot.

Drove the red beauty in a sunny German October afternoon today - came home with the notion that world peace would be inevitable if more people were driving pagodas.

Juergen
64 230SL #2933, 4sp, signal red, white hard top
93 Citroen XM station wagon

bpossel

Re: Alternator mount
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 04:19:10 »
Hi Juergen,

This past summer I replaced my timing chain.  While I had the hood off the car, I also decided to replace all of my belts.  All of the new belts went on without a problem, except the alternator belt.  I had the exact same problem, I couldnt get it tight...  I ended up going back to the parts store 3 times, each time getting a smaller belt.  Finally worked!  Solution, smaller belt!  Good Luck!

Bob

quote:
Originally posted by German Dude

After changing the water pump, I found I could not tighten the alternator lower mount bolt to a point where the alternator would be tight. Also, it seems that in order to get the right belt tension, I have to screw out the tightening bolt almost fully, which seems a bit far given the belt is new.

I take it the mount problem could be solved with new rubber parts down there - can anyone confirm that?

As always, thanks a lot.

Drove the red beauty in a sunny German October afternoon today - came home with the notion that world peace would be inevitable if more people were driving pagodas.

Juergen
64 230SL #2933, 4sp, signal red, white hard top
93 Citroen XM station wagon

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
Re: Alternator mount
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 06:16:56 »
Juergen,
On the 230sl, the alternator is mounted to the bracket with 4 rubber bushes. Maybe they need changing?

naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL