Author Topic: Help,  (Read 2705 times)

WswarrenII

Help,
« on: March 17, 2016, 14:01:37 »
All,

My name is Wayne and I am new to this forum. I posted the other day for the first time and received input from Pinder and Tyler. They advised to start a new thread which would increase the response. So here I am.

I have just inherited my father's 1967 Mercedes 230 SL hardtop convertible. It has been parked for 10 plus years. My father was trying to restore it.  He bought it in Germany in 1979 and it was running when he parked it.  It was also in great shape when it was purchased. He had performed the body work he wanted and the car was ready to be painted.  Long story short, I live in St. Mary's Georgia and have no idea where to get the car restored.  Any suggestions?  what amount of money would I be looking at spending to restore the car? 

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Wayne

mmizesko

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Gold
  • USA, OH, New Albany
Re: Help,
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 14:28:04 »
Wayne,

There are a few variables that we would all need to know before suggesting strategies.  Perhaps posing a thread of pics would help.

First, what are your skills.  Are you interested in doing some of the work yourself?

Second, after siting so long, the mechanicals, engine, drivetrain, and electrical systems, will need at least refurbishing.

Third,  do you mean a complete frame-off restoration?

Fourth, Body work is usually done by a different type of resource, and is not necessarily Specific to our beloved cars. 

If you are hands on, and use this site well, you can assemble a list of parts that need updating.  You can also manage the project.

Costs will vary, depending on your end goal.  If you want it as a daily driver, that is one price point.  If you want to prepare it for a goodings auction, costs will be quite different.

Whyy don't you post some pics and let the membership take a crack at it.

Regards,

Mike Mizesko
1970 280SL 291H Dark Olive

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 14:42:47 »
Hi Wayne,
There is a good Mercedes mechanic just across the river from you in Fernandina Beach, FL.  Corbin Automotive is not a full restoration shop, but James knows Pagodas and would be able to give you a good assessment.  You can put together a punch list to get you to whatever level you choose after considering Mike's advice.

The parts for these cars are not cheap, but they are available.  You can spend many tens of thousands to get the car into top shape or a few thousand to get it to basic running.  I'm in Jacksonville, so if I can help, send a PM.
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 15:00:47 »
Hello Wayne,

Welcome to our Pagoda SL Group

First, sorry for your loss of your dad, may the happy memories of him be with you always.

Second, I second what Mike pointed out in his post above. Most of all posting some photographs will help members here to give you some very good pointers.

Third, great that you started a thread, however, may I recommend you change the Subject from "Help" to read "In need of Resturation help" or something similar. You can change it by clicking on "Modify" then change your Subject line.

I understand the car has been stored for 10 years. I strongly recommend that you make no attempt to start the engine until a qualified mechanic has changed all fluids and checked that the engine is not stuck or frozen. A mechanic familiar with this type of car/engine will know what to check for. Now this will require for your car to be towed to a local shop. Again, do not attempt to start it for it may cause great and costly mechanical damage. I'm sure you like to avoid this.

Once you post more details here and photographs you will find that many members here will lend a helping hand.
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 15:06:10 »
Hi again Wayne,

Glad to see that Ray (I was typing as he posted) has pointed out a shop for you. Looks like you are on your way :) moving your car to a shop like that is a great starting point.

Let us know if you need help to post pictures ... We all love to see the pictures.

Dieter
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL