Author Topic: My new 250SL. Mechanic near San Rafael, CA?  (Read 2906 times)

kbike

My new 250SL. Mechanic near San Rafael, CA?
« on: April 18, 2016, 19:05:46 »
Hello!  I poured out most of my story in the New Member announcements page already...
I'm the new proud owner of a January 1967 Italian 250SL in the original silver-grey with a black tex interior.
It's lived most of it's life here in northern California, and is sporting what may be the original Italian dealer-installed alloy rims from Foundry Pedrini Siena.

Foolishly, I did not get a pre-purchase inspection, though I did get to see and drive the car myself and I didn't want to let it get away.  So I'm eager to find a reliable Pagoda-savvy mechanic in the SanRafael/SouthernMarinCounty area to help me get her sorted out.  Any recommendations?

Thanks!
-Kevin

Nate

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Mill Valley, California
Re: My new 250SL. Mechanic near San Rafael, CA?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 22:43:04 »
Hi Kevin,

Congrats on what looks like a very nice 250SL!  I live in Mill Valley and my 1971 280SL is about completed after a very long, comprehensive mechanical and cosmetic restoration.  I acquired my uncle's 1964 Porsche 356C Coupe from him last year and sent the car to Billy McNair @ European Performance in Novato.  The car had sat in my uncle's garage for the past 10 years - Billy had to go thru the fuel system, brakes, etc. to get it running.  He is super knowledgeable of air cooled Porsches and also works on old Mercedes.  He's a 1 person shop these days so you need be patient but the result will be worth it.  He's a super fair and honest mechanic.  I'm planning to take my 280SL to him when the car is finished in about 2 months.  Let me know how it goes and if you come across any other MBZ mechanics in Marin that come recommended.

Cheers,

Nate
1971 280SL
Arabian Gray / Dark Red Leather

2013 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Coupe
Black on Black

2013 ML350 4MATIC
Arctic White on Almond Beige
Wife's car that I get to drive

1964 Porsche 356C Coupe
Irish Green on Black
Black Plate CA Car
Unrestored

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 23:22:05 »
Hi Kevin,

If the tip from Nate does not work out then try this ...

1) Go to the Technical Manual and check out the Vendor List, perhaps you find someone close by.

2) Check out the Member list above. Once you open the list you can click on Location this will sort our member list by location. You can then check Page 22 to 26 it will list all Members in California (there is one member near you, he also registered in February), perhaps he knows of a mechanic. You can always e-mail members near you and ask the question.

Good Luck,

Dieter
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

kbike

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 01:21:15 »
Thanks for the advice!  I'll follow up on those ideas.

Here are some more pics, because folks like pics!

(and of course, you'll notice the blue trunk liner and door sills. The original interior was blue, but I'm glad they switched it to black/gray when they refreshed it.  Anyone know where I could get black replacements if I wanted to complete the transformation?)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 04:01:35 by kbike »