Author Topic: Rechrome  (Read 3056 times)

hlblanton

Rechrome
« on: May 27, 2016, 19:50:04 »
Does anyone have an idea of what a fair price for rechromeing a '71Sl would be? Mine is not in awful shape, but is original and thus pitted. I'm having a respray done so the shiny bits will already be off. I've never had a rechrome done before, so I'm kind of in the dark here.

HLB

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
Re: Rechrome
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 01:06:19 »
You'll find that is hard to pin down until you get the final bill.  How good a job you want, how fast, and how thick is your wallet will all affect that number.  There are a lot of threads on the forum about chrome.  You might want to contact one of the shops mentioned there and ask what info or photos they'd need to take a guess.

Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 00:57:42 »
If you want to rechrome "everything",

sit down on a chair first. :o
4 x bumper halves, complete grill, about 20 outside chrome strips, window surround, hubcaps (230/250 SL), headlight bezels (Euro version), some or a lot of interior chrome, hardtop ...!

Can fetch up easily 10,000 $$ or more - depending on the quality you are expecting. :-X :'(

My 2 cents .... wait & be patient. 8)
Ask where other fellow owners you meet in person had their items rechromed - and decide then.

Good luck !

Achim
(still lots of chrome missing on the parts)
Achim
(Germany)

DickLewis

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 22:43:53 »
I used a company in Erie PA called Advanced Custom Chrome.  They will give you an idea if you send them good photos.  I sent mine from my iPhone and their estimates did not change.  Also it takes a long time to have this work done.  This shop was excellent but I had to get in line and it took months.  I, like you, was having the exterior totally painted from bare metal so I had plenty of time.  I sent out all the small parts like door handles, trunk handle, side door trim, hard top hold downs, and the like.  It did not include bumpers which I bought new.  The cost for the items I mentioned was about $5,000.