Author Topic: Walt Disney was a Pagoda enthusiast  (Read 5404 times)

Buddydog

• Junior Level
  • USA, IN, Indianapolis
Walt Disney was a Pagoda enthusiast
« on: June 25, 2016, 13:06:31 »
Hello all,

While researching for my first Pagoda, I found an intereting post:
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2008-10best-contest-winners-mickey-mouse-page-5

MICKEY MOUSE
As an 18-year-old, I worked a summer stint in 1965 for Jesse James Parking in the San Fernando Valley of L.A. One Sunday afternoon at the Queen’s Arms restaurant, I opened the passenger door of an ivory Mercedes-Benz 230SL and welcomed a middle-aged woman as she got out.

Later, Jesse came out of the restaurant and told me to check the registration on that Mercedes. I almost fell over: The temporary taped inside bore the familiar signature of Walter E. Disney. The dealer was just a mile north on Ventura Boulevard, and we surmised the car had been purchased that afternoon. I was then instructed to bring the Benz to the portico to show it off until Walt finished his dinner.

When the Disneys came out, they were accompanied by another couple. The four of them stood talking next to the 230SL. While the ladies chatted, the other man turned to Walt and said, “That’s a really cute
little car. What do you have to pay for something like that—three thousand dollars?” Walt looked a little pained and said it was a little more than that. The man looked at the car again and asked, “Four thousand?” Walt looked more pained and said quietly, “More.”

The man was not to be deterred and said a bit more loudly, “Five thousand?” Walt took hold of the man’s arm and turned him away from the women. He then stage-whispered, “It was six thousand, and I don’t want my wife to know, okay?” Walt then grabbed his wife and steered her toward the passenger door I was
holding open, got in, and drove off.

I found Walt’s reaction amusing. Here was a multimillionaire in charge of a huge entertainment empire, and he was afraid his wife would find out that their new car had cost $6000. More than 40 years later, and having been married for 30 years, I now understand.

David Degner
Portland, Oregon

Digging in a bit more, I found this:
https://www.phil-sears.com/disney_mercedes_check.htm

1964 230SL 4 speed UNKNOWN Brown

su8pack1

• Senior
  • USA, PA, Barto
Re: Walt Disney was a Pagoda enthusiast
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 13:49:21 »
 8)
1969 280SL
1984 300CD
1987 190E 2.6
1988 190D 2.5

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Beach Cities
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 16:15:39 »
Got a note from one of our members to make sure I see this post.

Well, I feel obliged to comment since the "mouse" signs my paycheck.

I did not know that Walt had a pagoda!  Pretty cool.   

Last year (while I was working in California)  they held a gear-head event for employees to bring their interesting motors onto our Disney campus.  About 50 cars showed up (20 of which were versions of 911's) and mine was the only Pagoda (a driver).  There were some extremely nice cars including a 356 cab.  That afternoon, just by chance, Bob Iger (CEO of Disney) happen to walk through the cars, and his only stop was the Pagoda and his comment: "now that's a car."   

Thanks for posting about Walt and his Pagoda.  Very nice.   
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

enochbell

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 19:18:30 »
The Pagodas in Disney's family run deep...
Walt Disney's father, who was chief architect of the Chicago Worlds Fair, had a real Pagoda built on the grounds of the Fair (well, actually, in the middle of a lake), as he was fond of the shape and architecture he brought back from a visit to Japan.  Strange but true.

g

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 21:25:23 »
Buddydog, That is the greatest post that I have seen on this Forum in a long time!  Thanks for sharing.

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

RobSirg

• Gold
  • Australia, Victoria, Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 10:59:15 »
Thanks Buddydog,

I really enjoyed this post and will share it with my friends and colleagues. We (my company) have just finished 3 years work on our first Themepark project - Shanghai Disneyland, which officially opened last month.

Rob
1969 280SL Auto RHD 906G,  H'top 387H, Parchm't
1970 280SL Man. RHD Dark Red 542G, Bamboo MB Tex
1962 E Type Jag BRG with Tan
1974 White Alfa Spider 2000
2023 Range Rover
1982 280TE (my daily)
1967 Alfa Spider ("Duetto") Red
1977 Yellow 911 Targa
1991 Nissan Figaro
1959 190SL Black
1970 300SEL 3.5

Buddydog

• Junior Level
  • USA, IN, Indianapolis
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 03:30:09 »
 ;)

https://ohmy.disney.com/insider/2012/07/10/the-wonderful-world-of-walt-walt-at-the-wheel/

Walt’s last car is fondly remembered by one of his film stars, Dean Jones. “He passed a Mercedes dealership,” Jones says, “He looked in the window and saw this little two-seater. They were about $11,000 at that time.”

Jones recalls that Walt (as he had become accustomed to doing) just walked by, thinking, “I can’t afford that.” But then he stopped and thought, “Wait! I can afford it!” and went back and bought the car.

Shortly afterward, when Jones made “That Darn Cat!” (1965), the actor noticed that the Mercedes SL 230 was being used in the picture as Roddy McDowall’s car! “How come we’re using Walt’s car?” Jones asked. He found out that Walt was being paid $100 a day for the use of his car. “I think that he just felt guilty about spending $11,000, and that the Mercedes had to be of some use other than to drive him around.”

Walt, who had owned so few cars so that he could invest in his Studio and build Disneyland would probably be proud that his family still owns the Mercedes to this day — and of the extension to his Park dedicated to the culture of the car and a celebration of the American Highway

That Darn Cat...1965:

https://www.mouseplanet.com/10148/Letters_to_Ruth_Disney

December 1, 1964:

December has rolled around again and somebody is sure to remember it is also birthday time. I plan to do all I can to ignore December 5 [Walt's birthday] and will not mention December 6 [Ruth's birthday] except to offer the enclosed (check) to help make it as nice a day as possible.

I may not be getting as excited over Studio goings-on as I once did—but I haven't hit the rocking chair either. No sir. As a matter of fact, I bought myself a jazzy little sports car this year. A Mercedes 230 SL.
That probably won't mean much to you… but I'll bet Teddy will know it. Anyway, it's a car for the man who thinks young and I am just the guy for it. I thought for a while I was going to have to fight Sharon for possession it. I loaned it to her one week while we were away and she threatened to steal it. It's a little beauty and almost as good as a blonde on each arm for getting a little envy from my fellow men.

1964 230SL 4 speed UNKNOWN Brown

RobSirg

• Gold
  • Australia, Victoria, Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 14:56:13 »
Just gets better.......

I don't suppose we would know if this car was still in existence?

Rob
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 11:33:09 by RobSirg »
1969 280SL Auto RHD 906G,  H'top 387H, Parchm't
1970 280SL Man. RHD Dark Red 542G, Bamboo MB Tex
1962 E Type Jag BRG with Tan
1974 White Alfa Spider 2000
2023 Range Rover
1982 280TE (my daily)
1967 Alfa Spider ("Duetto") Red
1977 Yellow 911 Targa
1991 Nissan Figaro
1959 190SL Black
1970 300SEL 3.5

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 20:13:19 »
"It's a little beauty and almost as good as a blonde on each arm for getting a little envy from my fellow men."