Author Topic: Pagoda mot fail  (Read 5277 times)

430phil

Pagoda mot fail
« on: June 04, 2016, 18:30:53 »
Hi,
I've just finishing restoring my 230SL, it's an american import, it just failed the mot due to having the us spec headlight glasses fitted.
I suggested the use of the adhesive stickers i'd seen but they declined saying they are no currently accepted by VOSA.
Any ideas?
Surely i don't have to change the glasses?
 >:(
thanks.

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
Re: Pagoda mot fail
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 20:30:34 »
You will need to replace the glass unit. The light dispersal pattern from the glass is aimed differently. Hella makes a Right Hand Drive 7 inch unit to replace the sealed beam. Look on E-bay or Amazon. You will need to look for "E-Code" Right Hand Drive units. About $40 each without the bulb. Or you could replace the entire headlight units with euro spec- very expensive.
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 20:53:50 »
Have the regulations changed ?

I know of a few who have passed the MOT with LHD headlamps and appropriate Eurolites blanking stickers in the recent past.

Did you present the car with the lights such modified ?

Have you asked "eurolites" or the DVLA ?

Good luck

Paul
Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 03:08:17 »
Unless the rules have changed, you're permitted to attend an MOT with the stickers attached (so whilst Tyler knows a great deal, I doubt he knows the UK MOT regs, so ignore that for now notwithstanding that the advice on H7s for UK lights would get you though; I'm just not sure you need it at all according to the (recent) regs).

The MOT regs allowed you to attend an MOT with sticker attached to your lights 6 months ago. If there has been a change, it's since then. You're very unlucky to have failed for this alone. I'd find a different testing station or go back with the sticker attached a copy of the MOT regs in hand, because the testing stations don't necessarily know the rules. You'll find the MOT regs on the internet. It's a huge document (700+ pages) but it's indexed very well. You'll find what you need quickly.

James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 04:20:40 »
James, you are correct. I dont know much about UK regulations. Was merely a suggestion of a workaround to the beam benders "stickers" they supposedly would not accept. I would have found a different testing station as well. But if that station too fails for the same reason or the law has changed then the only alternative is replacing the glass/reflector or the entire fixture. It also makes a difference if this is for the initial import or its just for MOT. There is a bit on this I have read on another forum "Samba" of which i'm a member. It seems its sometimes hit or miss with passing on this topic. The tape is used for going from left hand to right hand or visa versa EURO SPEC. It gets cloudy when a DOT sealed beam is brought in. The tape doesnt do much as the beam and glass pattern is completely different.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 04:54:03 by Tyler S. »

430phil

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 18:51:28 »
Hi,
Thank you all for your comments.
I'm going to find a different station and get the tapes fitted.
I'll let you know the outcome.
thanks
Phil.

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 20:47:49 »
Hi Phil

I found "eurolites" really helpful in the positioning of the masks, I sent them a photo of my Pagoda lights, and they emailed back a retouched photo of where to apply the masks.
The guy I corressponded with was a real enthusiast, and ran a Sunbeam Tiger.

Did the MOT station enter the reason for failure on the DVLA record ?

Good luck

Paul
Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)

Scottcorvette

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, Norfolk
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 04:14:15 »
Could you not just change the light units? If it is a US spec car it is only a sealed beam so it wouldn't be very expensive to fit a pair of 7" halogen headlight units. I would have thought any auto factor could get you these.

We use 5 3/4"Valeo ones in Corvettes which are a nicer quality light units than Ring ones for example, although are more expensive, I put the 7" ones in my Mustang with some bright halogen bulbs and the lights are very good.  if you struggle I can get you a pair. Can't see any reason why they wouldn't fit unless there is something oddball about a Mercedes headlight bucket?

I got RHD euro glass lenses from Authentic Classics:

http://www.authenticclassics.com/Mercedes-230SL-250SL-280SL-RHD-Euro-Headlight-Lens-p/auth-003081.htm

Now they will make your eyes water but has to be better than sticking tape on the lens surely....

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 17:34:47 »
Scott, those euro lenses from auth classics wont work on a north american spec. The entire headlight unit would have to be replaced to use them. If the tape doesn't fly then I suggested replacing the 7" lamp with a Rhd hella or other unit.

Liquid silver

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 23:06:00 »
After I imported my LHD 230 from Holland, I took the car to my local Indy who gave me a MoT pass no problem. I would also mention that the tester actually fitted the lens tape himself I then promptly removed myself after the test. Not sure if that is legal but I got a pass.