Author Topic: Reinforce Strut, Top of Wheelhouse front  (Read 3167 times)

Howard Long

• Associate Member
  • Regular
  • USA, GA, Woodstock, Georgia
Reinforce Strut, Top of Wheelhouse front
« on: October 16, 2016, 04:51:10 »
I will need to replace the reinforce strut on in front wheelhouses.  I know that the replacement parts are available from K & K and also from Bud's Benz.  I know that this has been covered in the past with quite a few photos.  Those photos all show the area with the outer fender removed.  My question is can the reinforce struts be replaced without removing the outer fenders?

Howard
71 280SL 4-speed

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Re: Reinforce Strut, Top of Wheelhouse front
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 13:30:38 »
Howard,
I think it all depends on how much of the reinforcement you need to change.  If you just need say the front two thirds or maybe a little more you could in theory splice in a section but if you need to replace the entire reinforcement you will need to remove the fender.

In the first photo you will see where they usually rot out across the top and in the second photo you will see how deep into the structure the rear of it is.  You would have to drill all the spot welds from inside the engine compartment, cut the ends and slip the new piece in.  The caveat is wherever you splice it in you will not be able to weld across the top of the reinforcement as it will be too tight to get in there with a welder.  It "might" be possible to cut a 3" long window in the bottom surface and weld the top from inside the rail then weld in the window in at the bottom.

It is all going to be a pretty miserable job so patience is a must.

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 13:43:07 »
Here is a couple more for reference.

Howard Long

• Associate Member
  • Regular
  • USA, GA, Woodstock, Georgia
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 19:36:18 »
Dear Shvegel,

Thanks for the help.  I will just have to cut into it and then decide which way I have to go.  I do have the body on a rotisserie so that will be a big help.  The rear section on each side look good so I may be able to replace only the from 2/3.  I will let you know which way it goes.  it may be a while before I tackle that part, I still have the passenger side floor to complete.  I have completed both side rails and all the floor section on the driver's side.

Howard
71 280SL 4 speed