Author Topic: Intermediate shaft bushing  (Read 2227 times)

bongo666shaftsburry

Intermediate shaft bushing
« on: December 26, 2016, 00:25:17 »
Hello,
Does anyone know:
1) Should the REAR intermediate shaft bushing be replaced on routine engine rebuilding or how to tell when it should be replaced?
2) How to get the old one out and new one in?

Thanks,
Art

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
Re: Intermediate shaft bushing
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 01:10:18 »
There is an updated intermediate shaft and oil pump/tach (vertical timing gear) drive that should be replaced as a set. Unless it was previously and looks in good shape. There is a common failure issue with these as enough wear can occur and you will loose oil pressure all of the sudden while driving. The shaft is removed from the IP side opening. The dist drive gear and sprocket come off first to gain access to a pinch bolt holding the shaft and bushing in place. Ill see if I can dig up the part numbers. Have a look at this thread about the subject. There are more thread links within this thread
https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=5703.msg35228#msg35228
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 01:22:23 by Tyler S. »
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

bongo666shaftsburry

Re: Intermediate shaft bushing
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 04:14:17 »
Alas, that's not the problem. The bushing I'm talking about is in horizontal plane. There are two of these. The front one, held by a bolt, easy enough to deal with and the rear one--6150520150--which is somehow pressed in but I don't know if that's a job for a home mechanic. In fact, I'm not even sure what kind of tool could get it out.
Also, forgot to ask earlier if anyone has replaced the LOWER vertical bushing, the one through which oil pump shaft protrudes. Or, has anyone even heard of one these needing to be replaced? After removing the grub screw holding it I tried to tap it out gently but it wouldn't budge.