Author Topic: How are the inner threshold strips held in place?  (Read 4129 times)

beachbear

• Regular
  • USA, HI, Kailua
How are the inner threshold strips held in place?
« on: March 12, 2017, 22:44:21 »
In the course of troubleshooting my trunk light (no power to the red/white wire) I have verified 12vdc to the correct socket on the 12 pin connector under the dash, and infinite resistance to the red/white pin as it rests in the mating connector. My next step seems to be inspecting the harness as it moves underneath the inner threshold strip, on its way to the trunk. How is the threshold fixed to the carpet and running board? Mine are scuffed and worn, but not something I want to replace. It seems like mine might be glued to the carpet. I have a heat gun and attempt to soften the glue. Just looking for prior experience. Thanks.
David White
'69 280sl automatic, 3rd owner since '82

jsreid3

Re: How are the inner threshold strips held in place?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 00:37:24 »
Inner threshold is secured to the running board (body) with chromed screws. Then the carpet is glued to the running board and the edge of the carpet is glued and inserted into a groove along the inside of the inner threshold. Therefore, the carpet must be removed first. I didn't try a heat gun. Be very careful, the carpet has a tendency to unravel when you pull on it, then you will have to find another piece of carpet for the threshold like I am doing now. Good Luck

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 06:34:02 »
The most common place for the trunk lamp harness to break is around the area of the left trunk hinge. It may appear intact but the wire strands will break inside of the insulation.
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 06:45:05 »
Tyler, that's exactly where mine cracked out
Compared to many places, quite accessible for a fix, too!
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

cfm65@me.com

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Mossel Bay, South Africa
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 09:53:35 »
Beachbear,
Here you go. You can clearly see how the alu finisher is screwed down onto the sill and then the carpet slides into the groove, covering the screws.
However, I agree that your problem probably lies with the left boot hinge.
Regards
Chris
28 Ford Model A Pickup
29 Chevy Phaeton
67 E Type FHC
67 250SL 5 speed
83 911SC
2015 VW T5 California Pop Top

beachbear

• Regular
  • USA, HI, Kailua
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 22:29:06 »
Thanks for all the information. I agree, it's hard to imagine a break somewhere in the harness. There has been a break at the hinge, but measuring resistance from the break to the 12 pin connector shows an open. There is only about 6 inches of wire between the break and where the wire disappears into the larger harness in the trunk. The picture from cfm65@me.com is very enlightening! Thank you! I'll continue tracing the fault as I get time. I'll update this thread when I find it.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 23:10:48 by Beachbear »
David White

beachbear

• Regular
  • USA, HI, Kailua
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 01:08:50 »
Back to studying the harness in the trunk, I idly pulled on one strand from the red white wire (because it was longer). It pulled free of the insulation with 3" of wire. Three inches away from the break I pulled from is the tab that holds the red/white and brown wires (in their loom) to the fender. The break has been found and I'm on my way to a working trunk light! Thank you!
David White

cfm65@me.com

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Mossel Bay, South Africa
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 06:50:35 »
Well done, so no need to pull the threshold mats and trim strip.
Thanks for the feed back.
These forums are wonderful with so much info and cameradery.  I say 'these forums' because without the Pagoda SL Group, Ford barn, VCCA and Jag lovers forums, I would be lost.
Regards
Chris
28 Ford Model A Pickup
29 Chevy Phaeton
67 E Type FHC
67 250SL 5 speed
83 911SC
2015 VW T5 California Pop Top