Author Topic: shifter  (Read 4777 times)

n/a

shifter
« on: April 15, 2003, 22:08:49 »
The shifter can be pushed down and will hit the gears in the top of the transmission. It feels like the spring or clip that held it up is not working.. I can pull up on the shifter and it will grab and stay that way for a while then it will fall back down and going over a bump will bounce and hit the top of the gears.. How can this be fixed?

Rick Payton
1968 280SL

W14

Re: shifter
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2003, 00:03:50 »
Hi Rick,

I am assuming it's a 4spd. manual trans.?
There are several nylon bushings and rubber gaskets that keep all the
shifter parts together.  Sounds like maybe the lower shifter bearing support (rubber gasket) has disintegrated, allowing the shifter bearing to drop part way through the hole in the trans. tunnel.
You'll have to remove the carpet over the "hump", and undo the rectangular nylon cover over the shifter, to see what needs to be replaced.

Will W14
1965 230SL 4spd
Victoria,BC

Douglas

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2003, 03:32:29 »
will is correct. in fact, achim & i recently changed my shifter bushings.

i ordered a set of new bushings from my friendly dealer for roughly $25. it's a once-every-30-years kind of repair and should take a professional roughly an hour. it's somewhat tedious, but straightforward.

below is a photo of the disassembled shifter:

Douglas Kim
New York, NY

Download Attachment: bushing.jpg
37.92 KB
« Last Edit: April 16, 2003, 03:36:39 by Douglas »

jeffc280sl

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2003, 18:45:58 »
I replaced my 4 speed shifter bushings this winter.  The Haynes manual has a good sketch of the shifter assembly on page 115, figure 6.19.  As stated before you need to remove the carpet on the drive shaft tunnel in order to access the bushings closest to the gear box.  If you need more information you can contact me off-line at lax882@aol.com.  It was a worthwhile job to do.  The results are amazing.

Jeff Clute
1970 280SL 4 speed