Author Topic: Quick Becker radio question  (Read 5612 times)

Ed Cave

Quick Becker radio question
« on: November 23, 2004, 20:53:21 »
I am considering purchasing a Becker Europa II with the following description and wonder if someone can confirm its exact compatability (primarily dimensions) with a 1971 280sl.

This stereo model was used in many Mercedes sedans, coupes and convertibles as well as other European cars from the 1960’s through 1980’s. It is a one piece unit with integrated amplifier. The face plate is the standard size with the 5.125 knob spacing. The receiver box is 7" wide, 5.80" deep and 1.75" high. The radio is used but it is in exceptional good condition. It is complete with all push buttons, knobs and hook-up wire . It is set up for 12 Volt / minus on chassis.

I'm pretty certain it is but many of you have more experience with these that I do. Thanks in advance for sharing your Becker knowledge.

Ed Cave
Atlanta, GA

1964 356C
1971 280SL

bpossel

Re: Quick Becker radio question
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 04:07:07 »
Hi Ed,

I have a '71 and installed a Becker Europa II.  Fits fine!
Good Luck!
Bob

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 04:07:57 by bpossel »

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 06:59:00 »
Ed et al

FYI, the Europa I and II as are most other radios of the era and even many modern ones are "DIN" sized.  What that means is that most will fit; they were made to a common standard.  There have been several different threads on radio issues in the past year.  Ed, good luck on bidding on that eBay model!  Before bidding too much however, contact Ed Ebel at Becker to see if they have a factory rebuilt on the shelf and what it would cost.  You can call Ed at Becker: 888-423-3537

Becker North America has a service facility in New Jersey and they will service anything Becker ever made.  They are also a good source of information regarding their products old and new; for example when I replaced my failed Blaupunkt with a Europa MU mono, Ed Ebel was able to find one with a serial number that closely matched the production date of my car.  Now that's service.  They rebuild and sell some of the older radios as well.  So when that tube radio in your 300SL stops working, they will be able to fix it.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

jeffc280sl

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 07:54:40 »
I have a leter model Europa stereo in my car.  The size of the radio sounds right.  It's pretty small overall. Electronics were getting smaller and changing quickly as Becker tried to stay up with the Japanese.   I think there are different face plate mounting sizes.  Ask the owner to provide the dimensions of the face plate.  Make sure it fits in your opening and that your opening has not been modified in the past.  The later models have 4 FM buttons and 2 AM buttons.  Later models have a unique speaker plug with one round and one flat pin.  If you have this model Becker of NA can provide cable connectors and a cable for aux input for your mp3 or cd player.  It's easy to install.  I can help if you have any ?s.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

n/a

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 13:32:13 »
A very good source for vintage Becker radio related items and modern upgrades is the Walter Odemer Co in Burbank, CA. They are an authorized Becker, Blaupunkt, Hirschmann, etc, distributor. 818 846-2819.

tom in CA
2003 C320 Coupe