Author Topic: How do I adjust fender?  (Read 2758 times)

kiheimatt

How do I adjust fender?
« on: May 27, 2017, 01:59:44 »
There is a large gap between my driver's door and front fender. Gap at rear of door is normal.

I measured the doors and they are the same. Measured rear quarter panels and they are in the same relative position. It seems clear that my left front fender is too far forward. Looking at it closely, it is clearly not as easy as loosening some fender nuts and sliding it back.

I was surprised that I did not find other similar queries when I searched this forum.

Anyway... If you have insights or links to pre-existing instructions on adjusting the fenders, please share!

As always, thank you.

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Re: How do I adjust fender?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 06:13:00 »
I hate to be the one to break it to you but the fenders are welded on and are not adjustable fore and back.  You would have to have metal added to the door (Aluminum) or the fender in order to close the gap.  Take a look at the row of spot welds at the top of the fender just under the hood and I am guessing they won't be the same from side to side.  My guess is one fender was changed at some point.

johnm

• Associate Member
  • Regular
  • Canada, NS, Lawrencetown
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 09:52:47 »
The easy out at least for now may be to adjust the door in order to split the difference in the gap. I've found my doors pretty good in the way of providing lots of room for adjustments. Good luck...
1970 280SL
1966 250S

kiheimatt

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 18:05:11 »
Yup. That is what I saw and assumed. I thought it was worth asking in the event there were any clever ways to cheat it back a bit.

Looks like a pretty good project of taking out all the spot welds and repositioning front body assembly.

Thank you.