Author Topic: Not a good morning.....  (Read 2378 times)

johnshenry

Not a good morning.....
« on: June 19, 2017, 03:35:09 »
In the rearview mirror this morning of my 1957 VW Beetle I glanced at my wife in her '69 280SL only to see the car smoking and rapidly being consumed in a huge cloud of white smoke as she pulled to the shoulder off the highway, 30 mins from home.  We were on our way to German Car Day at the Lars Anderson Museum of Transportation in Brookline MA.  I knew this was not good.  I got out and opened the hood.  The engine seemed "highway hot" but not over heated.  Nothing was leaking/dripping from the engine.  The smoke that I saw, dissipated quickly, and did not smell of oil. 

I am thinking head gasket.

The engine turned a tad when I turned the key so it is not seized.  We called AAA and a flatbed was there in 20 minutes.  Luckily, we were just 2 exits away from a highly competent Benz shop that we had used 2 years prior, so we put the car there, dropped the keys in the slot, and went to the lawn event in my VW and had a nice day in spite.  Our mechanic is VERY good, and knows the old cars well.  Will call him in the morning and give him the scoop.   My wife said the car about a minute before "started making like a grinding noise" and lost power quickly.  She thinks that the engine was still running when she pulled it over and shut it down.  The smoke dissipating quickly tells me coolant, not oil.  We have had it 7 years and it has always run very well.

Thoughts?  We are hoping for the be$t....

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
Re: Not a good morning.....
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 14:08:48 »
Auto trans? Could be a broken modulator valve diaphragm.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

JonathanB

Re: Not a good morning.....
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 06:32:36 »
So, what was the problem?  What did the mechanic need to do and are there any lessons to be learned that can be shared with the group?

This reminds me a bit of an early disaster I had with my Mustang.  Turned out to be the "freeze plugs" on the engine block.  It was only a few hundred dollars to fix and I counted myself lucky that no serious damage was done.