Author Topic: New clutch differences  (Read 2656 times)

Scottcorvette

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, Norfolk
New clutch differences
« on: June 21, 2017, 04:40:50 »
I have just got a new clutch for my 64 230SL. There are a couple of differences and I just want to double check that these aren't going to be an issue, bear in mind I am converting to 5 speed using a Getrag 265.

Firstly the pressure plate looks the same with the exception of the flat steel ring over the tops of the springs, I'm assuming mine was missing for some reason, although it would have to have been missing when it was installed I guess, any thoughts?

Secondly the friction plate looks different in its centre section, my original on the left, the new one on the right. Does anyone think these differences may cause me a problem further down the line when it comes to installation?

These are all Genuine MB parts:
the friction plate is MA010 250 26 03/80
the pressure plate is MA000 250 96 04/80

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: New clutch differences
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 13:46:18 »
You should be fine as long as the part numbers are correct. Parts often undergo design changes and improvements over the years. Often times original suppliers change also.  The biggest change in clutch assemblies for the w113 cars is the spring type clutch to the diaphragm type sometime in the 280 series. Those parts were not interchangeable. Don't forget to replace the centering bearing in the crankshaft. Now as far as your conversion to the Getrag, you might want to investigate which type is correct for it (spring type or diaphragm type) or either type will work?? Each type uses a different thro-out bearing. 
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Scottcorvette

• Gold
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 20:36:25 »
Yes I have already got a new toe bearing, my machinist is going to install that when he does the engine work. I have got a new thrust bearing also, I'm guessing I will need to use the original style clutch/bearing etc as I will be using the original clutch fork.

The core charge on the clutch parts is not very much so I will hang onto them in case I wind up needing them for any reason.

Ive no doubt that the transmission conversion will throw up no end of problems, Im half wondering if I ought to just stick with the 4 speed and simplify my life a little....

AGT

• Senior
  • Scotland, Midlothian, Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 22:37:04 »
Scott

Good to see you back. I was worried that you had sold on your Pagoda or at least sent it to the back of your workshop in disgrace.

Don't give up on the Getrag. Colin Ferns fitted one to my 230SL and it has transformed the car - not just the overdrive 5th but also a much better feeling to all gear changes. The Getrag is very direct and crisp compared to the MB standard issue. Even the MB purists who service my car in Scotland (and who view the BMW transplanted parts as an abomination) do concede that the Getrag is an improvement.

Given where you have got to in your restoration, you are long past the "simplifying your life" jumping off point.

Best regards
Andrew
Andrew

1966 230SL

Scottcorvette

• Gold
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 06:26:07 »
Andy, it is at the back of the workshop but not really in disgrace....I have just been too busy at work to do anything to it. I don't think I have touched it this year.

My engine builder has a bit of time free and wants to press on with the Mercedes motor, he wants to balance the crank etc hence the reason for getting the clutch already. I was hoping to carry on with the floor repairs on Saturday but I have someone bringing a car in with a misfire so I guess that will put the kibosh on that.

I guess your right though, I should have jumped off 3 1/2 years ago.