Author Topic: Which A/C kit to get?  (Read 2773 times)

beachbear

• Regular
  • USA, HI, Kailua
Which A/C kit to get?
« on: July 26, 2018, 04:00:24 »
I’m taking my ‘69 to it’s mechanic, Herwig, next week to overhaul the engine, transmission (if needed) and the differential. I intend to add A/C while it’s convenient. As far as kits go, I don’t see a lot of competition for BudsBenz. While looking through older posts, I notice that Joe Alexander recommended using a sedan bracket to place the compressor on top like sedans. I understand why, I think. I’ve been sifting through the forum and the greater interweb for examples to learn from, but I’m coming up with nothing. Hopefully, when I speak to Herwig next, he’ll know how to accomplish this. Until then I have this question. Has anyone installed a kit from Classic Auto Air? Would you share a review? They sell a kit tailored to each model year. The mounting bracket places the compressor where Joe thinks it should be. https://www.classicautoair.com/shop/1969-mercedes-benz-280sl-lhd-air-conditioning-system.
David White
'69 280sl automatic, 3rd owner since '82

beachbear

• Regular
  • USA, HI, Kailua
Re: Which A/C kit to get?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 18:40:51 »
I just spoke with a rep at Custom Auto Air. A year ago, they purchased "Retro Air". Has anyone had an experience with them?
David White

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 00:25:48 »
I asked a similar question a little while back. I don't think there is a lot of experience with the aftermarket units in this group.
https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=26533.msg189856#msg189856
As you can see, most comments are about the mounting bracket. A sedan style mounting bracket seems to be the recommended approach.
I didn't buy my system yet either but think the mounting bracket from classic auto air is closer to the recommendation.

Dirk   
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 02:42:29 »
Yes, this bracket is very close if not a copy of the sedan bracket. 

https://www.classicautoair.com/product-category/complete-ac-systems/european-ac-systems/mercedes-ac-systems/mercedes-benz-280-sl-lhd/

What gets me is that you could probably put this system together for $1000 if you had the time and inclination to mess around chasing stuff down.  besides the bracket it is all pretty common stuff.

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 05:19:46 »

beachbear

• Regular
  • USA, HI, Kailua
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 18:26:03 »
Here’s a thread with pertinent info relating to the bracket from 2011. https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=13818.0

Thanks for the link to oldair!
David White

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 20:24:17 »
I have the condenser that Buds"s uses but I am away from home.  Pretty sure Mark (450SL) has the info.  Sub $100. Very inexpensive.

steves sl

• Regular
  • USA, WI, CEDARBURG
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 20:43:10 »
I am thinking of adding a/c. Several posts refer to using a Sedan compressor bracket and thermostat housing from that era. Which model sedan and years? One post refers to Sanden adapter. Where is that ordered from and which Sanden compressor is used? Thanks for the help.
S. Schlaefer

beachbear

• Regular
  • USA, HI, Kailua
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 21:32:01 »
I believe the use of the word "Sedan" refers to the placement of the compressor. Sedan mounts or brackets, even when York compressors were the standard, located the compressor above the alternator. This appears to be a preferred configuration because it leaves the alternator in the original position. When York compressors were standard there was not enough room between the alternator and hood on the 280sl. So dealer kits of the day relocated the alternator. Sanden compressors made today eliminate the piston in favor of rotary compression along the shaft. So now a "Sedan" mount can be used with a Sanden compressor, and everything else remains in a factory configuration.

To other more experienced owners: Please correct me if I'm wrong.

By the way, I have chosen to go with BudsBenz because it's easier. The kit bracket isn't a sedan style, but the Sanden compressor that comes with the kit is mounted above the alternator. And I can get the underdash blower covered to match the rest of my interior.

BudsBenz does sell the Sanden bracket and bolts as P/N: Z830-003A. I may mount mine with that yet. They manufacture the kit to order and mine's not finished yet.
David White

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 23:38:46 »
Bud’s uses a 142320 condenser which is literally a 14” x 23” x 20mm

450sl

• Silver
  • Netherlands, Gelderland, zelhem
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 07:17:39 »
i bought this one on ebay; all  aluminium; came with  double set of fittings  ( 180 deg. and 90 deg. type) .

CNFP1623KT Kit AC A/C Universal Condenser Parallel Flow 16 x 23 Oring with Drier