Author Topic: KHM interior question  (Read 4750 times)

swood1

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Worcester
KHM interior question
« on: June 18, 2018, 13:17:42 »
Hi all,

I will eventually need a full interior for my car, I was looking to go with KHM as a supplier.  The Body is still on going but I was thinking in the mean time I could finish off the seats and possibly look at the wrapping of some of the panels etc then put all the parts aside ready for refitting later.  Firstly, I would like to know if anyone within the group has a KHM interior they would be happy to share photos of?  The interior I am looking at would include the 3rd seat.  At the moment I have only got the KHM website to compare against.

Secondly, do you think I am jumping the gun buying the interior now?  I reckon I am 12 months away from getting the body painted and I was thinking I would rather have the interior here with me, ready to go back in knowing it's all paid for.  I am sure KHM are a pretty well proven supplier of W113 interiors but what if one part doesn't fit once I come round to fitting them. :/

Steven

250 SL (early), in bits. Triumph TR4a

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
Re: KHM interior question
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 17:31:57 »
Interior should be one of the last parts of a restoration. Some parts come pre-cut and ready for install and often the rest is just one big sheet of material that needs to be cut and fitted to your car.
Your upholster should be able to get you through this phase without too much difficulty.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

jaymanek

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 18:59:25 »
I have experience of KHM hoods and they are excellent.

For my 600 Grosser Interior, KHM could not supply a kit so I went to German Auto Tops in the USA.

They were excellent. Interior is now fitted and its a fantastic quality leather and fit.

Im sure KHM interiors are excellent also.

A lot of the finish is down to the trimmer though, as even with a pre made kit, fitting the seat covers properly is a skill.

swood1

• Senior
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 09:09:31 »
Hi all,

Thanks for replies.  KHM do a full kit of parts.  I was going to do the recovering work myself.  If required I have a friend whom will recover the more complicated assemblies for me.

Regards

Steven

mazmonza

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Devizes Wiltshire
  • 1967 250sl zf 5 speed. colour 172 anthracite
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 09:47:59 »
Hi Steven,

My interior was done by Aldridge Trimming in Wolverhampton 9 years ago,
still looks alright.
Worth a look at.

Maurice
1967 250sl ZF 5 speed
1991 300ce-24 coupe Sportline
1962 Lambretta TV175/ RB20
2000 Ducati 748s
1970 Ducati Monza

specracer

• Senior
  • USA, MA, Duxbury
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 10:00:13 »
I would not see any reason not to forge ahead with your interior. Strike while the iron is hot. I went with GAT (I only needed seat covers, and carpets). I did the seats myself. Not too bad a job.

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 10:55:38 »
I purchased a KHM interior including the kindy seat and then had a local upholsterer fit for me about 6 years ago.  They were excellent to deal with, their interior was excellent and there was no problem with what was supplied.

They sent me a couple of samples of both the seat leathers and the carpet to me in Australia, so I was sure that they were correct. I actually went to their factory as well whilst in Germany on a Pagoda Group Eure event.  They were very open and showed me around and looked after me on my visit.

I probably purchased mine about a year before needed and just stored it for when I was ready.

I highly recommend them.
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

swood1

• Senior
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 11:47:29 »
Thanks all/Garry,

I do have samples and I have picked the leather and carpet so they can update the quote accordingly.  I shall press on with my purchase, appreciate the responses/advice.

Regards

Steven

jaymanek

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 14:33:56 »
Hi Steven,

My interior was done by Aldridge Trimming in Wolverhampton 9 years ago,
still looks alright.
Worth a look at.

Maurice

I heard Aldridge are excellent. When I wanted to trim the 600, they never got back to me with a quote despite several chasers.

swood1

• Senior
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 15:15:38 »
I shall give them the opportunity to quote but the problem is I cannot see the detail on their website so I can only compare to the parts I can see.  For instance my car had a 3rd seat, I would like to reinstate this.  I had a quote from another UK company but it was 50% more than KHM and that didn't even include the seat pads.  This was a little disappointing.

Steve

« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 15:23:35 by swood1 »

jaymanek

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 15:39:46 »
I found that a lot of trimmers and other professionals are now quoted based upon their own pervceived value of our cars.

Nothing to do with the work involved. If you were to present them an MG with the same amount of work, I bet the price would be half.

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 04:16:33 »
KHM’s kits are excellent but not perfect (who is?).
They offer several different grades of leather and I recommend the most expensive one.
Fitting is not straight forward though and would recommend you find a trimmer who knows the pagoda details.

swood1

• Senior
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 06:49:27 »
I found that a lot of trimmers and other professionals are now quoted based upon their own pervceived value of our cars.

Nothing to do with the work involved. If you were to present them an MG with the same amount of work, I bet the price would be half.

I think this is spot on.  I have a colleague whom is a trimmer, he works on many special vehicles and bespoke ones for wealthy/famous people. He re trimmed my Triumph Tr4a for me two years ago.  This was a full re-trim; he stripped the original vinyl, repaired the seats and replaced it with an agreed Italian leather hide, I picked the piping to suit. He also made me a one off back seat from scratch.  The seats are spot on, there are no ripples/creases or areas where leather is bunched up. I paid less the 2k for the whole re-trim. I haven't actually asked him to quote on re trimming the W113 as I was thinking an off the shelf kit was the way to go but maybe it's worth a chat with him.

Steve

450sl

• Silver
  • Netherlands, Gelderland, zelhem
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 08:35:47 »
I did all of the interior myself , using all KHM , turned out very well.

Must emphasise this is not an simple job ( dashparts / softtop lid).

My 2cents;

Use KHM but let an expert do the fitting.
Use the only best leather, like Stick suggested.

mark

hdhardyb

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 03:16:43 »
I got my seat covers from KHM 2 years ago. Very happy with them. I actually stopped by in Esslingen on a trip through southern Germany and chatted with Mr Mayer, owner of KHM, before I bought them. Highly recommended. The many types of leather they offer are worth seeing, touching, and smelling. Plus Esslingen is a very pretty little town.
I went with type 10C, which is called Roser reproduction. Roser was the company that made the high end leather seats for Mercedes in the 60s. Mr Mayer said the leather is from German cows, oh well. But the leather is beautiful and I really like the smell, which it still has after 2 years. The GAHH covers I had before didn't smell at all. Gernold Nisius at SL-Tech installed the covers for me. They look beautiful. I am very happy with this purchase The covers look even better after I treated them with Elephant leather wax, as recommended by KHM.
If you don't want the hassle of buying them in Germany, Gernold mentioned that GAHH has a special "Oldtimer line" of their covers, which are similar in quality.

swood1

• Senior
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2018, 12:19:48 »
Hi all,

My next problem is making payment.  For me to purchase from KHM they want full payment up front.  Is this normal?  It's a large chunk of money..  I was hoping to give them a deposit or at the most a 50% payment to kick them off but they want more money for this (I assume admin).  My issue is the risk is on me in the unlikely event that the company folds/disappears.   Is this pretty normal?  It's just a pity I don't seem to have the option to put half of the money on my Credit Card so I get some kind of cover.

Steven

jaymanek

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2018, 12:56:03 »
I wouldnt be worried with KHM, they are a well established company.

That said I would have thought a hefty deposit followed by final payment on despatch would have been more suitable.

450sl

• Silver
  • Netherlands, Gelderland, zelhem
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2018, 14:19:28 »
Well ,  they send me the wrong color ( custom made full leather complete interior ), and replaced it without any trouble whatsoever for the right color...........
and yes i have paid in advance too.

ps
i have ordered half of a cow extra.. that came in very handy later on.