Author Topic: M-B Classic Center in Irvine  (Read 5056 times)

Bob G ✝︎

M-B Classic Center in Irvine
« on: January 05, 2005, 17:41:30 »
According to the SL market letter a short note from john Olson says at last the papers have been signed for the long rumored location at 9 Whatney in Irvine California . the 27,600 Sq Ft state of the art facility is expected to open in summer 2005. Mercedes-Benz is the first automobile company in the USA to launch services exclusively for their older cars--geneerally those over 20 years old.
Modeled after the orginal Classic Center in Fellbah,Germany Irvine will buy and sell classic cars .perform appraisals and repair services. The site will also host MB car club events. The M100 Group
has already been invited to hold its 2006 annual meet there.

I think we need to star planning for an event of our own at the classic center for 2007.

Bob Geco
This information came from the SL Market Letter.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 17:42:11 by Bob G »

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: M-B Classic Center in Irvine
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 20:49:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by krwaxbz

I think we need to star planning for an event of our own at the classic center for 2007.

Excellent idea!  You should contact other California members to help you organize event and we'll come from all over the country!  I will contact you off-line.  It will be interesting to see how our group is received as MB does not have us on their "recognized club" list under the MBCCCI (Mercedes Benz Classic Car Club International).  See info on MBCCCI here:
http://www.daimlerchrysler.com/emb_classic/0%2C%2C0-195-79007-1-213526-1-0-0-0-0-0-4276-78641-0-0-0-0-0-0-1%2C00.html

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

TR

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 12:08:15 »
This sounds good.  I'd go.

Tom in Boise

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 12:53:48 »
The resellers aren't jumping for joy that I've talked to.
 MB can't seem to get certain parts straight that go with the corisponding part number. I dn't see this improving for a company that won't listen to outsiders and these new centres will be even worse because the ones we have now already are.

However, if you need something that's only available from the meca centre you'll find out just how high the limit can be. Some of you understand this and some of you don't. Time will tell, I'm sure........

So, in some ways it will be OK and others it won't. Kind of what we have now with a bit of glitz thrown in for good measure.

Daniel G Caron
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Ed Cave

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 20:34:44 »
I'm curious. Do the Directors of this Group, Rodd, Douglas, Cees, et.al. see affiliation with the MBCCCI as desirable for the welfare of this Groups membership  or is it something you all would prefer to maintain distance from?

I don't know much about MBCCCI and certainly don't have an opinion one way or the other but am curious about 'our' position on this and perhaps how it could be a positive or negative thing for this group.

Ed Cave
Atlanta, GA

1964 356C
1971 280SL
2002 SC430
2004 A4 3.0

n/a

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 10:14:13 »
Interesting discussion. I'm doing a lot of thinking about these subjects. We'll do all we can to keep everyone happy. I'll update our contact info when we're ready. I'll be reading and replying as much as I can. So much to do to prepare for the big opening day(s).

Tom Hanson
Parts Manager
MBUSA Classic Center
Irvine CA

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 10:25:51 »
What they aren't teling us yet:

The Classic centre will be resoring cars later on. They'll have restored cars for sale from the beginning. This has restoration shops out west a bit worried.

All classic parts will have a flow chain.
1) on cars being serviced or restored in house
2) MB dealers
3) you and me

107 and 123 are now considered classic as of Jan 1st 2005. This should help out as far as pricing.

I saved the best until last........

These will be retail sales. No wholesale!

Daniel G Caron
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

rwmastel

• Platinum
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005, 13:20:49 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Cave

I'm curious. Do the Directors of this Group, Rodd, Douglas, Cees, et.al. see affiliation with the MBCCCI as desirable for the welfare of this Groups membership or is it something you all would prefer to maintain distance from?

Ed

Ed,

Hi.  Back during the formative period of this Group, we did have founding members speak in person with leaders of the MBCCCI (can't recall names right now) regarding our new Group and how we might want to be associated with the MBCCCI.  We felt they might be able to help us grow through publicising our Group, funding us with some initial startup cash, helping organize a web site, helping organize events, and more.  We were told that all clubs that were associated with the MBCCCI when it was founded were the national MB clubs (like MBCA) and some older model-specific clubs (like Gullwing Group, M-100 Group, etc.) that got "grandfathered" in.  Ongoing, they would only allow new national clubs to join the MBCCCI, not model-specific clubs.  Since these meetings, other model-specific clubs have become part of the MBCCCI!

Since our Group started almost 24 months ago, we've been doing well.  We have a good web site, a good publication, and good events all over the world.  I'm not sure what the MBCCCI can do for us other than put that "official MB club" stamp on us.  I don't know of any Board Members currently attempting to create a relationship with the MBCCCI.  If we do contact them and find out that there are significant benefits of associating ourselves with them, then of course we would peruse that.

If any Board Members have anything to add, or have any corrections to make to my statements, please do so.

Thanks,

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1994 E420
Rodd

2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon

n/a

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2005, 14:17:43 »
P.S.
Just a suggestion.. The MBCA has many "sig" groups within its own organization. There are many benefits to being a member (many of you guys already are). The annual dues work out to $.12 per day. The Star Magazine alone is worth the price of admission. Just a simple solution of getting "recognized".

Tom Hanson
Parts Manager
MBUSA Classic Center
Irvine CA

rwmastel

• Platinum
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2005, 18:52:13 »
quote:
Originally posted by halfviking

The MBCA has many "sig" groups within its own organization. There are many benefits to being a member (many of you guys already are). Just a simple solution of getting "recognized".

Tom,

Hi.  We got our Group off the ground before the MBCA announced their SIG (Special Interest Group) program.  Plus, this is an international group and the MBCA is focused on the USA.

When starting a new Group from scratch, we were looking for every method to ensure success and being associated with the MBCCCI sounded like a good one.  Once we got turned down, we moved ahead and became successful anyway.

It would not hurt to revist the MBCCCI, now that we are two years old, and see if there would be significant benefits to working with them.  The Board can discuss it at our next on-line Board Meeting.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1994 E420
Rodd

2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2005, 07:07:06 »
The President (she covers SE Pacific including NZ, Australia) of our local MB club (Brisbane Australia) said to me 2 years ago when I approached her about this group that the MBCCCI wouldn't recognise it because it didn't belong to any physical address, only the internet.

Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best