Author Topic: W113 280SL 1968 Automatic gear box  (Read 2265 times)

Thierry du Laos

W113 280SL 1968 Automatic gear box
« on: December 27, 2017, 08:50:29 »
Hi,
Who can give me the P/N of the 2 pressure switches installed on the automatic gear box, to avoid stalling while selecting Drive or Reverse?
Both of them are in short circuit, making the fuse to burn as always giving continuity....
And where I can buy these spare parts?
Thanks

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Re: W113 280SL 1968 Automatic gear box
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 18:38:32 »
The part number is A0015421317 and you just order them with the Mercedes dealer. They are ca $500 a piece. May try other places or aftermarket.

However: I cannot imagine how can they blow a fuse. They are hydraulic switches. All they do is to provide the ground from transmission housing to a green/red wire that goes from each of them to the connector on the transmission and then one green/red wire goes to the solenoid and provides ground to it so that it works. If the switches are off, no ground, no solenoid action. It would always look like "both of them" because they are connected.

If you have your fuse 5 blown, it may be the solenoid, but not the switches. Check the solenoid connection - there are wires sticking out of this solenoid housing that connect through a plastic base with the power supply to the solenoid from fuse 5 (green, red, black) and the wire I mentioned, ground from switches (red, green). Make sure the wires that stick out of the solenoid housing are not touching each other.

Also: the reverse lights are also powered from fuse 5. If there is a short, when you select R, you will blow the fuse. This involves switch on the firewall and the lights themselves to check.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

cfm65@me.com

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Mossel Bay, South Africa
Re: W113 280SL 1968 Automatic gear box
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 02:38:29 »
Hi Thierry,
Complements of the season.
Pawel is correct, those are hydraulic ground switches which supplies earth to the constant speed solenoid when R or D is selected.
Unless, you are saying that they are always ‘in short circuit’, without R or D selected. If so, I believe you have a bad connection elsewhere.  Maybe a shafed wire or check the connections at the bottom left of the gearbox.
Regards
Chris
28 Ford Model A Pickup
29 Chevy Phaeton
67 E Type FHC
67 250SL 5 speed
83 911SC
2015 VW T5 California Pop Top