Author Topic: Factory End-of-Line Procedure?  (Read 3897 times)

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
Factory End-of-Line Procedure?
« on: December 19, 2017, 18:04:45 »
Someone here must know the factory step-by-step "getting ready for first fire and drive away" procedure.

I've searched and read the posts related to "dry" engine coolant fill, "dry" engine oil fill and prime and "dry" engine fuel fill and prime.  Unfortunately, each one seems to be addressed as if it was the only thing to be done and that everything else had already been done.  Example: The coolant fill procedures tend to suggest running the engine occasionally during the fill procedure as if it had already been operated regularly.  Additionally, it seems, from reading the posts, that getting the air out of the engine during coolant fill is a problem on these cars.  I can't believe that the factory, as my mother would say, "fiddled" with the engines to get the coolant fill accomplished.

It seems that Joe's "dry" engine oil fill and prime procedure is the only one that does not assume that the coolant fill and fuel fill and prime procedures have already been done.

I have seen enough cars arrive at the end of an assembly line, get started and driven away to know that one cannot spend hours on the assembly line filling with coolant, priming with oil, priming with fuel and starting the car to drive away when that line has to deliver a car every minute or two.

I've performed Joe's oil fill and prime procedure on the engine and simultaneously on the injection pump, but I'm not sure how to prime the fuel injection system with fuel without help and without making a mess.  Also, is there a way to successfully fill the coolant system without air entrapment and without running the engine.

In the auto industry, for the coolant, we used a sophisticated and expensive vacuum evacuation and fill system that took only a few seconds after the engine was installed in the car.  Before that, for engine first fire, we had what we called a hot test carousel with gravity fed coolant, exhaust quick-connect and electrical power connections.  After hook up, by the time the carousel had made a revolution, the fill, prime and engine hot test was complete and the coolant was drained once more.  I don't have one of those (joke).

How do you experts wrap up a rebuilt engine installation and prep for first fire?  You have probably done it so often and for so many years that it is second nature and obvious to you.  For we who are doing it for the first time, it seems to me a perfect set of instructions to put into the Technical Manual.

Tom Kizer
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
Re: Factory End-of-Line Procedure?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 21:09:18 »
The only precaution I take is with a rebuilt engine:
Disconnect the ignition system and remove fuse for fuel pump.
Crank engine on starter until oil pressure is seen to rise, then reconnect fuel and ignition to fire it up.
I’ve never had any need for special procedures for coolant or fuel systems on these cars.

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 22:32:04 »
That's pretty much how I do it too. I leave the spark plugs out and usually squirt a bit of oil in each cylinder before going for oil pressure. After first fire up I run the engine for maybe 30 seconds then I shut it off to check for any leaks. If that checks out then I start it until it's warm and continue checking for leaks. Once it's fully warmed I shut it off and check fluid levels after it cools for a while.
After I'm satisfied that nothing is leaking I run the engine around 1,500 RPM for a 1/4, then 1/2, then a full hour checking between each shut down for any problems. After an hour I drop the hot oil out of the engine and add fresh stuff plus a zinc break in additive. Break in driving is done using increasing RPM, load, and duration under acceleration until the engine rocks backwards a bit on compression during shut down. If your engine isn't rocking backwards during shut down it's still tight and not fully broke in.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 13:07:19 »
When putting a rebuilt engine back in a vehicle you can sometimes save trouble by using plain water for the first coolant fill; much easier than antifreeze to clean up following the inevitable discovery of loose or leaking hose(s).

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 14:20:54 »
I pack the oil pump with white grease before assembly to help it generate suction and crank with the ignition disabled until oil pressure ticks up.  I usually fill the coolant system with water on the first go as it does a better job of cooling and more importantly if it leaks it isn't a slimy mess.

For filling coolant I use one of these:https://www.amazon.com/UView-550000-Airlift-Cooling-Checker/dp/B0002SRH5G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513778778&sr=8-1&keywords=vacuum+cooling+system+filler

There are cheaper versions that I am sure are fine for the occasional user just search "Vacuum coolant filler".  Another cool feature I have discovered with the vacuum filler is that you can change small sending units etc without draining the coolant.  You put the exhaust of the unit in a plastic jug and connect the air to generate a vacuum then you slowly and gently remove and replace your thermal switch(Up to 3/8" thread as I have not tried anything larger) all without spilling a drop.

I have built a custom one for the boat I work on (the cooling system is 100 gallons per engine) that we use to drain and fill the coolant.  We apply vacuum,  install a garden hose fitting down low with the coolant still in the engine,  apply 5 psi pressure and blow the coolant out,  vacuum the system and refill the coolant from the bottom.

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 17:54:55 »
I use plain water for initial start up which is a smart idea. My only problem is dealing with freezing temps in the winter months. 
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 00:07:07 »
I love this forum.  Posting a concern is like planting a seed and waiting for it to germinate.

I'm not working on my car right now.  Christmas is coming, the snow is falling and my garage is a mess from my previous work.  I said, "I'm not working", but that is not to say, "I'm not worrying".  When I don't learn from others' mistakes and jump into things, I invariably end up doing them over.

The older I get, the more negative I become, and that turns to paranoia which, in turn, turns to paralysis.  When Christmas is over and things settle down a bit, I'll finish my car and get it running.  Everything is done except coolant fill, verifying that the injectors flow and assembling the doors - seals, whiskers, windows, lifting mechanism, door handles, window adjustment, etc, etc. - (another attack of paralysis that I have to get over).

I've tested most of the systems in the car to verify that I did them right and they work the way they are supposed to - so far, the only things that didn't work were little things - mostly mistakes I should not have made.

Stickandrudderman, I'm surprised you have never had problems with coolant fill and air entrapment.  My impression was that they could be expected - but after your comment, I'm happy for you and hopeful for me.

Ejboyd5, your suggestion about using water for first fill and first fire to avoid a mess is a perfect example of my "paralysis by analysis".  I was so paranoid about messing up my floor with antifreeze mixture that I didn't even think of not using antifreeze - and me a retired automotive engine engineer.  I think I had better call my family doctor.

Dan, I did Joe's valve train flooding, 2 qt. oil overfill, oiling in the cylinders, removing the plugs and cranking to get pressure before draining the excess oil in preparation for first fire - but then I froze.  However, when I cranked the engine to prime the system, the SR59X starter cranked so fast that it was scary.  Maybe that's what scared me.

The car sits on my hoist in my heated garage, so there's nothing keeping me from the next step except I want to wait until I have the time to do everything right - no rushing before Christmas.  There's enough of that already.

Thank all of you for your comments and techniques.  I wish all of you a very merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

Tom Kizer
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 04:57:33 »
Yup.......there's never enough time to do something right on the first attempt but there's always lots of time to do it over.
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

The Coquihalla Kid

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 11:16:10 »
I noticed Tom’s request for feedback regarding sound practice for firing up a rebuilt engine for the first time.  I am pleased to offer the following summary of what – from the perspective of my own experience – I have come to consider to be the most crucial points of the matter.  Perhaps the writeup that follows will prove somehow useful as Tom plots his way forward with his project.

To be fair, I must first qualify my remarks by acknowledging that my experience in this milieu is confined almost entirely to the realm of small and big block V8’s of American manufacture, involving various refurbishment projects of Cadillac, Chevrolet, Buick, Pontiac and Chrysler engines.  The projects in which I have been involved entailed the rebuild of engines manufactured in Detroit, occupying an approximate 15-year vintage slice, from 1957 to 1972, all in my personal pursuit of my Detroit Iron hobby, from about 1968, up to the present day.  My current project is the total restoration – with some technological upgrades – of a ’57 Eldorado Seville.   As for Mercedes, apart from having my head for a half hour or so beneath the hood, gazing with admiration at our mutual friend Rolf Dieter’s exquisite example of the incomparable and iconic Pagoda, I must acknowledge that my experience working on, or around Mercedes engines is precisely zero.

It will be perfectly understandable if some readers consider the above described context insufficiently relevant, and decide to opt out here and now. Those whose interest in the subject leads them to read on anyway, should keep the potential significance of this context in mind - that of a naturally aspirated - single or dual carbs - overhead valve, pushrod V8, with a single, centrally positioned camshaft, operating the intake and exhaust valves by way of hydraulic flat tappet or roller type lifters, through rocker arms of either adjustable, or non-adjustable (as in the case of Cadillac) design.  The fuel pump is typically of the mechanical type, driven by the engine by way of an eccentric cam shaft lobe.  The ignition source is the conventional arrangement of a distributor – either with non-contacting electronic proximity sensing trigger or actual breaker points and condenser – and a single induction coil of either conventional or MSD (multiple spark discharge) type.   
Notwithstanding the peripheral details however, the underlying concerns that motivate normal standard precautions for preparing American V8 engines to run are universal in nature, and are thus applicable to any internal combustion engine rebuild project.   The determination of relevance, and further, the means by which each measure discussed in the following paragraphs might be applied to one’s own individual application and circumstances, must necessarily be left up to the reader.

1 – Preparation:

Effective organization – both during reassembly as well as in advance of firing for the first time involves proportionally little time, and minimal effort, yet the results can be significantly beneficial.   
The best results can be enabled by an approach that is both positive in expectations of outcome, and thus anticipates the best, but anticipates the worst.  Ergo:
Ensure that your surrounds are neat and tidy, tools you anticipate will be needed are neatly arrayed close at hand, and those that won’t be required are stowed away.  Cordless lights work best if possible, serving to avoid tripping hazards associated with extension cords.  Use of fender skirts or drop sheets to protect the tops of fenders should be considered as being essential.

Charge your car’s battery fully over the previous night, if possible, and/or have a fully charged spare, or a buzz box available, for backup in the event that your 12V source unexpectedly proves inadequate, or runs down early. 

Potential difficulties can be avoided later by the precaution of cranking the engine momentarily with a single spark plug wire pulled and its terminal held a fraction of an inch from a ground location (cast iron block or heavy portion of suspension/frame) to confirm that there is spark at the spark plugs. A ¼ inch stud or bolt inserted into the terminal boot to extend the conductor beyond the insulated boot can facilitate this process.

Make a final check that all hose connections (fuel/water/vacuum etc.) to ensure that all clamps are assembled and tight, and that wiring connections are terminated correctly. 

If your car’s instrumentation array does not include a visible indication of actual oil pressure, whether analog or digital, consider installing one, even if only on a temporary basis.  The cost and effort involved in doing so is miniscule in comparison with the potential impact of suffering a low oil pressure condition that escapes notice.                                                                                             

Preparatory to firing, make one last final check of all fluid levels prior to starting. Engine oil, coolant, and transmission fluid levels should be at normal running levels.

If the desire is to avoid the use of glycol based anti-freeze for any reason, use of plain water on its own should be avoided.  For the optimum blend of corrosion protection of critical engine components, and excellent coolant heat conductivity and transfer capability, water mixed with water wetter is an excellent choice.  Among the numerous advantages of water wetter over plain water is the fact that, unless and until an ambient temperature at or near freezing becomes a genuine concern, there is no need to change the coolant later, after the runup is successfully concluded.  RED LINE Water Wetter is an excellent choice.

Have a fire extinguisher close by, the operation of with which you are familiar, and that you know is charged and ready. 

2 – Assurance of Adequate Lubrication:

If there is a more crucial concern in successfully returning are built engine to operation than the assurance of lubrication prior to and during start-up, I am hard pressed to imagine what that might be.  The first three points in the discussion to follow address this concern.
Well before firing, during assembly of the (new) cam and lifters, a typical precaution is to pour a full can (Approximately 8-oz.) of GM EOS (Engine Oil Supplement) over the cam lobes, prior to installing the lifters in their bores.  Or- if using an aftermarket cam and lifters, be sure to use all the assembly lube supplied by the cam shaft manufacturer. The intent of the pre-lube is to ensure that the surfaces that will be subjected to the highest pressure wiping forces will be first coated with a film of high strength lubricant, which will permeate the surface of these components and maximize assurance of a successful break-in. Granted, this precaution might be difficult to observe for an engine that has been previously assembled by someone else, but it is reasonable to anticipate that any reputable engine builder would be well aware of this precaution.  If in doubt, a call to the engine builder would not be inappropriate, and might render either peace of mind, or cause for partial disassembly to address.

The selection of the optimum oil for the crank case can be vital to the successful operation of any engine, particularly one having just been rebuilt – and even more so if the restart involves the initial operation and break-in of a new camshaft, lifters and other valve train components.   A recent development in the formulation of automotive lubricants in North America has been the drastic reduction, and impending elimination of the use of the highly effective extreme pressure friction reducing additive, zinc dithiophosphate (“ZDP”), from any motor oils used in applications that require SAE certification.  ZDP was developed during the 1940’s – a cutting edge evolutionary period for the internal combustion engines  – involving test mules like the radial engines that powered such beasts as B-29’s and P47 Thunderbolts.  ZDP became indispensable as an oil additive due to the significant contribution to properties of extreme high-pressure lubricity, and improved film wetting effects,  resulting in enhanced protection of critical engine components against mechanical wear and corrosion effects, not only under the severest of operating conditions, but -  and perhaps of equal or greater importance for the classic car enthusiast - during extended periods of inactivity during storage.

Recent technological developments have given rise to such refinements as multi-valve per cylinder combinations, and the elimination of flat tappet cams in favour of ‘roller-ized’ lifters, have culminated in significant reduction in required valve spring preload levels, and thus a proportional reduction in camshaft lobe and lifter/roller interface pressures. As such, the elimination of the beneficial physical properties associated with oils formulated with ZDP has less importance to engines rolling off assembly lines today than for their older, more primordial forebears.
The universal law of probability dictates that one should always avail one’s self of every possible advantage, and it is only logical to pick the low hanging fruit first.  SO - if you’re not already using a high ZDP blend of oil, you should give due consideration to changing your oil now,  before starting, and refill with a ZDP blend.  There are many options . . . but to name a few:
Royal Purple
Joe Gibbs Racing Oil
AMSOIL

While possibly the following may entail considerable innovation for the Mercedes enthusiast to duplicate, in preparation for starting a rebuilt Mercedes engine – the potential benefits of doing so are sufficient to warrant me sharing it here.   

Standard practice for Detroit Iron gearheads like me is to prime the engine oil system completely, and bring up to full pressure for several minutes, as late as possible – if not immediately before - firing the engine for the first time after a rebuild.  The tooling required to make this happen need only be very rudimentary. For GM V8’s, this entails removal of the distributor vertically upward and out of the block, and the insertion of a shaft (approx. 14 inch long) with a flat ground on the end business end, of a dimension specific to the purpose of engaging the drive slot provided at the top end of the vertical pump drive shaft.  The top end of the shaft is held in a drill chuck, with which the pump is driven to circulate oil throughout the engine oiling circuit. (Important that every precaution is taken throughout this process to avoid foreign objects/dirt etc. falling into the engine.  Thoroughly flush, blow and clean the drill chuck first.)

Driving the pump shaft at 1500 RPM with a corded electric drill will produce oil pressure equivalent to 3000 engine RPM.  This allows the oil pressure to be brought up to the setting of the pump relief valve (typically in the range of 30 – 50 PSI, monitoring with a temporary pressure gauge is always a good idea), allowing the engine oil circuit to be flooded and pressurized, and oil to flow to all points of the system.  If done with the valve cover(s) laid in place but not bolted, copious oil flow can be verified visually by alternate momentary removal of either cover.  Until a clear sense is developed as to the amount of oil that splashes around inside the valve train under this condition, it is best to avoid actually running the oil pump with either cover off.  Being too cavalier about this point can lead to an oil mess at an awkward time and in the wrong place.

While a cordless drill might work well here also, there needs to be adequate battery life in reserve to maintain oil pressure for 5-10 minutes. 

Among the advantages of achieving full system oil pressure in the manner, for any extended period of time, is the opportunity thus afforded to make a visual check of the entire oil system for external leaks, and to flood a new oil filter, which if only recently installed, may well contain a slug of air of significant volume.  This is simply not possible by means of circulating oil by cranking the engine on the starter.

Recheck oil level at the conclusion of this process, and replenish if required.

3) Initial Setting of Ignition Timing:

The final setting of the ignition timing requires the use of a dedicated timing light, while the engine is running at idle speed.  (Vacuum advance to distributor disconnected and plugged.) The first few moments of running a rebuilt engine is NOT the ideal opportunity for this, but rather, is best left until after the initial valve train run in that should be performed immediately upon start up. 
Potential difficulties can be avoided if the initial clocking of the distributor is done such that when the engine is fired, it will be necessary to retard, rather than to advance the ignition timing to achieve a setting at which the engine runs smoothly during the valve train run in period. (20 minutes or so).  The reasoning for this precaution is simply that, when an engine runs with abnormally retarded timing, regardless of RPM, the relatively late spark event results in an artificially shortened duration firing stroke, and correspondingly elevated exhaust gas temperature.  In my own experience, running an engine under conditions of no mechanical load, (i.e. transmission in neutral) and with significantly retarded ignition timing – even for a minute or two – can produce sufficiently elevated exhaust temperatures to get headers, or even cast-iron exhaust manifolds glowing red hot.  The preferable scenario therefore is to fire the engine with an abnormal degree of advanced timing, and then approach the ideal timing window by rotating the distributor in the “timing retard” direction while cranking the engine to start. (One person can perform this if necessary, by way of a remote start switch, temporarily wired to the starter terminals, and cranking from beneath the hood with the ignition key left in the ON or RUN position.)

4) Initial RPM Range after Starting;

Avoid running the engine at low RPM, near idle, for the first 20 minutes or so after initial firing.  This precaution is primarily for protection of new valve train components during the initial break in period, during which the maintenance of adequate lubrication is crucial to success.  As the quantity of oil available to lubricate valve train components during operation is always a function of oil pressure, and oil pressure is proportional to engine RPM, operation in the 2000 – 2500 RPM range immediately after initial firing will help to ensure adequate oil flow to lubricate cam lobes, lifter faces and rollers, push rod and rocker arm tips at what is a crucial stage in the break in process.

This initial run in period presents an ideal opportunity to make a visual and audible examination of the engine all over, for abnormal conditions such as, low oil pressure, high coolant temperature, unusual valve train noises, or evidence of fuel, oil water or vacuum leaks.  This is also an opportunity to look at ignition timing with the timing light, but any adjustments must be made judiciously at this point, solely with the objective of smooth running and control of exhaust gas temperature in mind.  The distributor mechanical advance curve will dictate that the appropriate ignition timing will be significantly BTDC (before top dead center) than the ignition timing specified in the book, perhaps as much as 20 degrees or more. 

Unless Mercedes’ philosophy differs from that to which I am accustomed, the final setting of ignition timing will need to be made at idle, later, subsequent to the completion of the initial run, at which RPM the initial timing is typically specified.  (Usually with vacuum advance disconnected and plugged.)

5)  Final Wrap Up:

Once the initial twenty-minute run has been successfully completed, with no fluid leakage, abnormal noises or overheating issues arising, the engine RPM can be reduced to idle.  On our typical V8 breathing through carbs, the idle set screw in the throttle linkage is set to achieve the desired RPM, initial ignition timing setting is finalized, distributor vacuum line is connected and the idle circuit mixture screws are adjusted, to give the desired throttle response. 

The engine can then be shut down and restarted a time or two to ensure ease of starting, then a final check of fluid levels to ensure that all are normal.

Next step is to take a few minutes to catch your breath, bask in the warm reflected glow of your accomplishments thus far, while enjoying a bottle of water, or a coffee, a beer of whatever.  Then, after tidying up, and aligning and bolting the hood into place, it’s time to open the garage door and let the games begin!

All best,

Robert

“The Coquihalla Kid”

Edit: I have cleaned up a few embarrassing typos, errors in syntax,
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 21:44:49 by The Coquihalla Kid »

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 16:36:08 »
Thanks Robert,

Quite a dissertation for your first post! Welcome to the group. Lots of interesting insights in your post. One other thing I like to do is to leave the spark plugs out as Dan suggests and I also leave the injector lines loose at the injectors.  I crank the engine with the coil wire removed until fuel first emerges from each injector connection. After all injector lines are primed and tightened, I hook the coil wire back up and start the engine. During the fuel priming operation, the engine is also primed with oil and shows pressure on the gauge. Also during the fuel priming phase, use full throttle to shorten the cranking time to fill the injector lines. Naturally do not use full throttle for the first start-up! For coolant some like to dis-connect the heater hose at the firewall (driver's side) and pour coolant directly into the engine before first start-up to help the air lock problem. Leaving the heater all the way on will also help. I usually just burp the  engine by allowing it to go to temperature several starts, then switch it off and re-add coolant. The radiator will become hot on top when the coolant begins to circulate. Do not drive off until you are certain the system is primed. Keep checking the coolant level and all fluid levels. Your power steering fluid will foam-up and possibly overflow if the system is not "burped" also.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 03:52:53 by ja17 »
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 22:02:03 »
Nice write up Robert!

I hope to bring my Pagoda to BC some day (just added it to my Bucket List) so that you may spend more time peeking under the hood with me. Perhaps fine tuning that Linkage like we both did on so many Steam Turbines valve gears (inlet and extraction valve gears) during our business venture together for 25 years :) 

Our Linkage Tour in our Technical Manual will give you a taste of what is ahead. Perhaps after we fine tuned the Blue Tornado we can take a trip down south along the California Costal Highway or along those fine curved roads in British Columbia ...

All best,

Dieter
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL