Author Topic: new interior what is realistic  (Read 5903 times)

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
new interior what is realistic
« on: January 29, 2018, 19:12:58 »
hello
this summer i planned on replacing the original navy blue interior in my 66 230 to a parchment / tan combination.

i was planning on doing what i can myself and outsourcing other items. (dash, wood, glove box, quarter panels)

are there any items that may be difficult to re move for re covering on my own?

cover on inside top of the wind shield?

I didnt want to order a bunch of materials and then find out myself stuck

thanks in advance
matt
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

lurtch

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Rosa
  • " ICON 66 "
Re: new interior what is realistic
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 20:13:04 »
Hi Matt - I did a complete change over from vinyl to leather about 8 years ago.

If you are a careful, methodical and detail oriented worker the individual re-covering tasks are not that difficult.
That being said, PATIENCE is really the most valuable tool you will need. You must be willing to tear-off and try it again if you are not pleased with how individual pieces turn out.

The horn pad covering will require a special tool to stretch it into position. I made a jig for this, but I passed it on to another Pagoda Guy.

I would recommend farming out the fitting of the seat cover pieces, because they frequently require trimming down  the horsehair pads. I did this and got very good results.

Also be aware that the vendors for the door card covers most often do not do it correctly where the horizontal seams are. I had to have mine taken apart and re-sewn.  Good Luck - - .

Larry in CA
Larry Hemstreet  in  N. Cal.

1966  230SL  (restored) Met. Anthracite w/ Maroon leather
1981  300TD-T (Concours condition, 86K, GETRAG 5sp.)
1982  300TD-T (parted out)
1986  560SEC (totaled)
1991  300TE (gifted)
1998  E320 (sold)
2004  E320 wagon (gifted)
2008  CLK550 Cabriolet

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 21:06:23 »
Look at the Technical Manual - you have there information on how to do the horn pad under the steering wheel section. Check the Upholstery, Seats etc.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 23:04:52 »
I assume you are doing this job in leather? Recovering the dash pieces will require you to have the leather "skived" or made thinner than standard thickness. Gahh will do this but has limitations on their thickness. If you go vinyl, the vinyl stretches just enough to stretch it around the compound curves of the dash pieces.

I am working on and off on my interior. My car originally had dark brown (essentially black) leather. I wanted to go cheap (10 years ago) and ordered a replacement in cognac MB Tex (now for sale) thinking this would be easier for a novice to install. And it is not too hard to do. After peeling off all the leather and installing the MB tex which the supplier provided in sheet goods (not pre cut pieces), I have now decided to go back to leather. This time red. I am still challenged by what it will take to fit new leather on the dash pieces, instrument cover, hard door pockets, glove box, door handles, soft top compartment lid and the windshield trim. I got a name of an interior guy from John at German Auto Tops to do the leather installation on these pieces. He will take care of the skiving.

The next dilemma was the type of leather. I am not sure if people replacing their leather seats realize that the hides used today by most suppliers use a different dying process than Mercedes did back when the W113's were built. Today's leather commonly supplied for W113 interiors is vat dyed and the dye is through the leather. Original leather was vegetable dyed and just on the surface. When I compare the 2 samples, I can see, feel and smell a difference. For a premium, GAT will supply what they call Old-Timer leather.

In my case, I still have my old leather pieces. Before I install new leather (seat covers and door panels will be new) I am investigating dying my original leather and gluing it back on. This could potentially save me a couple thousand dollars. There are leather treatment products that claim this should be possible. I figure I have little to loose if I try. Besides, my old leather is already pre-fit to my pieces.

Matt. I have a question for you. Is your car automatic or standard shift? Are you planning to replace your carpet?
Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Originally Light Ivory - Now Anthracite Gray Metallic

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 14:30:50 »
hello
thank you for the replies.

my 66 is an automatic and i plan to re do the entire car in mb tex and replace the carpet.

this will be my second car to work on, of course the SL is much more complex than my 300d.
i did most of the work on my 300d,   seats, carpet, b and c pillars my self in mb tex.   

lastly i did look at the interior section in the tech manual.  a lot of good info there but not everything. 
so i may have items to add to the tech manual when i am done.

thanks!
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 15:19:12 »
Matt,

If you have an automatic and are looking to replace your carpet, do you have the molded rubber trim around the shifter like in the photo?
Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 15:25:06 »
I gave a topic talk at PUD 2017, and also wrote an article in Issue 21 of Pagoda World. It has a step by step process. Not that difficult if you take your time. GAHH is the best source to purchase the leather, German leather and is thicker then most leather suppliers. Suggest you buy new seat pads for the clean stretch look of the seats. You will need 1/2 a hide to make all the other trim. Seats come already stitched as well as the door panels. I did not do the horn center. That came either black or cream. Sun visors are available thru MB Classic or thru after market. Good luck and contact me if you run into any problems.
Bob
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored
R172 2012 SLK350, Black Premium leather 801 on Mars Red 590, 7-speed auto
W211, 2007 E320 Bluetec, Cashmere MB Tex 144 on Arctic White 650, 7 speed auto

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 15:33:08 »
I gave a topic talk at PUD 2017, and also wrote an article in Issue 21 of Pagoda World. It has a step by step process. Not that difficult if you take your time. GAHH is the best source to purchase the leather, German leather and is thicker then most leather suppliers. Suggest you buy new seat pads for the clean stretch look of the seats. You will need 1/2 a hide to make all the other trim. Seats come already stitched as well as the door panels. I did not do the horn center. That came either black or cream. Sun visors are available thru MB Classic or thru after market. Good luck and contact me if you run into any problems.
Bob
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored
R172 2012 SLK350, Black Premium leather 801 on Mars Red 590, 7-speed auto
W211, 2007 E320 Bluetec, Cashmere MB Tex 144 on Arctic White 650, 7 speed auto

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 21:14:03 »
Frank - hi,  my 66 does not have the rubber grommet around the chrome shift plate.   its just sewn over with some blue material. maybe vinyl.

Bob - hi,   i will pull my PW #21 tonight and take a look.   yes, GAHH is the best source,  problem is they won some  big time award recently and wont return calls unless you are a reseller they used.   Buds says they can supply me with GAHH products for my 230 sl.

when i did the 300d about 20 years ago i worked directly with them. no issues.

matt
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 00:13:06 »
Matt,
when you worked with them 20 years ago Jack Dekirmendjian owned the company and he was extremely helpful.
Times have changed, GAHH is now owned by an Investment Company in Dallas that combined GAHH and Robbins Auto Tops. They have no interest in supporting older cars and their owners.
Your best bet now is GAT if you want service. https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=25939.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 00:21:10 »
I just purchased my interior from GAT. John the owner is helpful explaining your options. He responds to email.....eventually.
Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 15:34:17 »
some feedback from Gernold at SL tech

you can remove all the dash pieces without removing the Windshield but changing the color on a 230 SL you have to replace the piece surrounding the Windshield Frame and that requires removing the Windshield,

removing the Windshield will help with the Dash work anyway and I would recommend you remove it,

your most challenging part will be the Door Panels and the Insert in the Conv. Top Cover, again it will depend on your skills or whoever you use for a Upholstery Shop more than anything else,

I may just keep the same colors for now.     I already have a roll of blue mb tex from GAHH i bought a long time ago.   
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

swood1

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Worcester
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 21:17:50 »
I gave a topic talk at PUD 2017, and also wrote an article in Issue 21 of Pagoda World. It has a step by step process. Not that difficult if you take your time.

Hi Bob,

What would be date of issue 21?  Looking in forum it doesnt seem to be available for back order.

Steve
250 SL (early), in bits. Triumph TR4a

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 22:03:20 »
Steve,

You should have received PW Issue 21 it was issued late last year (see images below). As a Full Member you should have received one near the end of August 2017 or beginning of September 2017. Our Printer mails them out automatically to all our Full Members (and I checked your membership status your Membership was active so you should have received one).

The second photo below shows the upolstery article issued by Bob

Dieter

Rolf-Dieter
Membership Secretary

DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

swood1

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Worcester
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 22:18:12 »
Ignore me I have just found it..  Shall spend some time reading the article.

Thanks

Steve
250 SL (early), in bits. Triumph TR4a

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 04:11:27 »
Actually Steve I'm glad you posted, I looked for my issue #21 in order to help you and discovered I mailed it out to someone as a Welcoming Package. Garry Marks will mail to me a replacement. So your post did some good Thanks!

Dieter
Membership Secretary
for the Americas
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 15:59:02 »
I thought I would just throw in that there is a high temperature contact cement available that is used for vinyl tops.  Since contact cement can be removed using heat a can of the high temp might save you from having parts peel after a day in the sun.

https://www.zoro.com/dap-contact-cement-1-gal-natural-233/i/G5405994/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5Ifm4tOR2QIVgbrACh1HSAdDEAQYEiABEgJy0PD_BwE