Author Topic: Wood Trim Questions...  (Read 3582 times)

Eryck

Wood Trim Questions...
« on: January 04, 2005, 10:13:47 »
I have seen quite a number of wood trim set for sale. Most of them indicate to me that they are reproductions. Does anyone know if the original MB OEM wood trims are still available or are they all aftermarket reproductions? My gut feel is that MB no longer makes them but just want to be sure. Any is there a particular set that are considered to be of the best quality?

1965 230 SL White Manual
Hong Kong

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: Wood Trim Questions...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 12:01:46 »
I do not know if the wood is available from MB, but there are a number of reputable places in the US that sell them, both finished and unfinished. Millers and Buds Benz come to mind. (www.millermbz.com) and (www.budsbenz.com). You could also check with Gernold Nisius at SLTech, he has all kinds of stuff available, but you need to talk with him directly for the best information (www.sltechw113.com)

SLS out of Germany also has an excellent selection of parts.

Jonny B
1967 250SL Auto
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 14:11:32 »
Hello friends,

Yes, all of Jonny's answers are correct and I can only support his recommendations.
Original wood trim is still available from DaimlerChrysler but each item will be sold separately, i.e. windscreen wood trim (approx 500 $$), speaker grille (about 140 $$?) and wooden tray between the seats (a larger 100s $$ amount) but the parts are way too expensive. Furthermore, DC asks to send in your old parts first as size and color samples because especially the windscreen wood trim is custom fitted to each car.
Recommendation: Don't!
Better get yours redone or buy aftermarket (as Jonny said) or get other used original wood trim. If you are planning to restore your car completely, my 2 cents are to be patient with these unnecessary beauty parts. Usually they should be redone at the latest.
There are much bigger burdens to be solved first.

Best,

Achim  
(~ under restoration)
Achim
(Germany)

TA250SL

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 22:49:12 »
Another excellent resource is www.heritagewoodworks.com for both wood trim restoration as well as new wood.  They will restore wood of any condition to show car condition.

Tom

mulrik

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 01:56:48 »
Hi there
i just finishied re painting mu woodwork. I removed old lacquer with sandpaper (150-180 is fine) BE VERY CAREFULLL not to remove to much of the wallnut veneer, as the ligher color wood below will be visible. Then apply stain (mahogny) and a couple of layers of glossy lacquer ontop. Mine looks so pretty now!!!!

'67 250 SL Papyrus White 113043-10-000023