Author Topic: Say...While I'm at it, I might as well....  (Read 2587 times)

Jazn

Say...While I'm at it, I might as well....
« on: January 03, 2005, 17:55:52 »
Anyone replaced their heater core?  Just wondering how big of a job is it?

jeffc280sl

Re: Say...While I'm at it, I might as well....
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 20:45:24 »
Just took my dash apart for recovering.  While I was in there I decided to take the heater core out and have it tested.  It's a pretty big job.  A/C needs to come out, then the heater fan assembly.  There is a nasty blot in the center that goes through the transmission hump.  It was rusted underneath and was a problem to get out.  I took the glove box, radio, clock and heater control wheel assembly out.  Next comes the heater air vent control box.  You need to disconnect some of the heater control cables and other nuts to get it out.  Then you can get to the heater core.  I thionk 4 bolts hold it in place.  Had mine sent to a shop in CT where it was cleaned and pressure tested.  I was going to get a re-core but the minimum charge was $295.00.  While out I put new o-rings on the heater control valve along with new firewall grommets.  While at it I took the gauges out for cleaning.  Finished the dash recover today.  Now to start re-assembly.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

Jazn

Re: Say...While I'm at it, I might as well....
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 06:37:44 »
Thanks, think I will wait on that one.  Won't be using the heater that much anyway.  I don't have A/C so that is one less thing to worry about.