Author Topic: Hot blowing air (drivers side floor) when on parkway  (Read 2085 times)

StevenF

• Silver
  • USA, NY, Merrick
Hot blowing air (drivers side floor) when on parkway
« on: July 30, 2018, 19:57:52 »
I needs some advice.  When driving on the highway, I feel a hot breeze coming from under the steering column which blows approximate at my calves.  To explain it better, it is not "heat" because our cars "run" hot, but a constant flow of air.  I will be installing insulation under the carpets in the very near future, but this "hot blowing" needs to be addressed.  Is there a grommet lower down the firewall that would allow air to come through when highway driving?  Is there a valve that needs to be closed? 

I do not have a manual on the proper way to set the heater and I am not sure what all the levers do--but they seem rather easy to figure out---any advice with regards to heater operation would also be helpful. Currently I have the top left lever shifted all the way to the left and all others are set in the middle.
Regards
Steven

1971 280sl
Red Metallic
Bamboo MB Tex

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Re: Hot blowing air (drivers side floor) when on parkway
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 23:25:13 »
With the levers set as you described there should be no hot air coming into the cabin and the heater valve should be closed. Take a look at the photo here (scroll down):
https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/HeaterControlValve
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

StevenF

• Silver
  • USA, NY, Merrick
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 23:43:10 »
Alfred,
Thank you for the information.

The latest update :  I took my car on the parkway and reached underneath to feel where the air is coming in---
Low and behold, there are 2 openings/holes on the steering column.  When I put my finger in the hole the air stopped coming through.
I did the same for the second opening and the air stopped coming through.

Does anyone know what those 2 openings are for?  I plan on taking a small piece of metal tape (like the tape for a dryer vent) to cover the holes .

1971 280sl
Red Metallic
Bamboo MB Tex

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 10:33:19 »
Post some pictures.  It would help us to identify the holes easier.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

rgafitanu@gmail.com

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 12:45:34 »
There is a bushing insulating the steering column from the engine bay where the steering shaft enters the firewall plate. If this bushing is missing it would explain the hot air.

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Fallbrook
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 13:02:57 »
Not only that, but your car is probably a whole lot noisier than it should be also. Holes that large (but even tiny holes) will let a ton of engine noise into the cabin.  One approach is to put a work light in the cabin, at night in the garage, and then looking under the hood at the firewall to track down any holes / openings that let noise through. Close them. You will be surprised at the difference in interior noise.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II