Author Topic: Detailed pics of unmolested very original '64 230  (Read 17193 times)

n/a

Re: Detailed pics of unmolested very original '64 230
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2005, 18:59:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by J. Huber

Not to restir anything, but Michael does have a point about the "mint" aspect of the description. I for one actually opened the pictures expecting a pristine car that had somehow cheated the sands of time. You know, like a Van Gogh bought at a garage sale covered with dust... What I discovered, instead, were some very interesting and no doubt useful shots of a nice car that is quite original and apparently "unmodified." For this, I thank you Neil. Not your fault, I had such high hopes...

As an aside, in addition to these original pics, I also welcome photos from nicely restored cars such as Michael's (and Ed's and others). These can also be very instructive and motivating.

James
63 230SL

"Mint" has been removed to pacify those so upset by it. I still stand by it, however. Dealers and experts who have seen the car in the flesh (remember that I am exposing, in detail, the least flattering aspects of the car here for the benefit of others, not myself, in direct response to requests by fellow enthusiasts) have described the car in the same way. It is they who have walked around, crawled under, investigated in the tiniest detail the car when I found and purchased it constantly repeating the words "totally unmolested". It is they who marvelled at the fact that the paint was so near perfect, yet original. It is they who almost were almost talking in tongues when carefully checking the interior details, the mats, the carpets, the vinyl, and who were aghast at the time-capsule that awaited them when they opened the soft-top cover, pointing out to me the rare 'early weave' canvas, the as-new rear window with the original raised markings.

I have not yet detailed under the engine bay. I have not even cleaned it yet! Ditto with the underside of the car, and a lot of aspects of the bodywork.

I have been too busy spending many, many hours photographing, editing, creating and hosting a web page at my own expense and generally enjoying the sharing of what is an extremely special vehicle with those with a similar passion. I am simply presenting, for the benefit of many, a car that has emerged from 40 years of hiding exactly [/b]as it emerged.

Anyone who knows my cars will know that in a few months this thing will positively glow, but will still be faithfully original; not 'dolled up' for exhibition.

Any images then, however, would be for my own benefit more than others, and as I am not ego-driven or a show-off I would not be interested in displaying them. There are many, many such pictures available everywhere, including this forum. Not my scene at all, just like car shows.

I apologise that I have upset a few (even if I wonder what really caused the obvious upset). I keep in perspective, however, the vastly greater number who have found the resource a helpful and valuable one. My inbox is full of warm and enthusiastic emails from contributors who have elected to contact me directly rather than post their comments on the board, for reasons that only increasingly become obvious to me. Their genuine enthusiasm and lack of ego are refreshing, and vastly outweigh (and outnumber) the negatives.

Cheers,

Neil Rote
Melbourne Australia
"quite nice" and "apparently unmodified" '64 230SL
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 19:18:22 by n/a »

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2005, 19:37:45 »
quote:
Originally posted by aussie230sl

I apologise that I have upset a few (even if I wonder what really caused the obvious upset). I keep in perspective, however, the vastly greater number who have found the resource a helpful and valuable one. My inbox is full of warm and enthusiastic emails from contributors who have elected to contact me directly rather than post their comments on the board, for reasons that only increasingly become obvious to me. Their genuine enthusiasm and lack of ego are refreshing, and vastly outweigh (and outnumber) the negatives.

Neil,

Hi.  I hope you are not getting too negative of an image of our Group!  I think it's the crazy weather in the Northern Hemisphere that's got people on edge.  :D

I think everyone has appreciated your generous behaviour in sharing the detailed pictures of your Pagoda, but a few have taken issue with the meaning of some words used.  Let me just say two things about my feelings on the comments in this thread:
- No matter how many people discuss the meaning of a word or term, people from around the World will have varying definitions of that word.  Don't be suprised if you show one car to 10 people and they all describe it's condition with different adjectives.  If you give 10 people one adjective and have them pick one picture of a car that fits that word, they would show you 10 different pictures.
- Only about 10% of effective communication is written.  The vast majority is verbal (voice inflection, loudness, pace of speech) and visual (facial expressions, body gestures, posture).  People who might sound angry might not be angry at all.  It's almost impossible to accuratly convey emotions and things like sarcasm with the written word.  That one reason sites like this included these:  ;)   :evil:   :?  Don't get too caught up with writing appears negative, it's tough to precisely make a point without our major communication tools.

Please, don't let us scare you off!

I appreciate your pictures, they're great!  My favorite is the Engine Tag showing the engine serial number on both the plate and stampped into the block above it.  Great detail.  If I knew how to host my own personal web site then I would probably share detailed pictures of my (picking words carefully!) mostly original and very used 1966 230SL.

Thanks,

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2005, 19:53:12 »
The '' M '' word?
 How about the '' A '' word? ( as in anal )

Come on guys, ANY more or less original car is rare today and worthy of documentation. Give the guy his due - I'd be proud to own such a car too.

Although we often pick apart cars that are for sale on ebay just to see how many things are wrong with them this isn't the place for that here. If I put a picture of the Red Rocket on here it would take some of you two weeks just to add up the big list of things that aren't right.

And I wouldn't care. I like the car, that's all that maters to me.

Daniel G Caron
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Ben

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2005, 03:56:44 »
Well put Rodd !

quote:
The '' M '' word?
How about the '' A '' word? ( as in anal )

.........I nearly said that too Dan!!

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

norton

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2005, 07:27:32 »
Let him have it Doc  :?

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2005, 09:51:05 »
I find the pictures to be very instructive, especially since I, too, have what is considered to be an original "unmolested" example of a 230SL.  When I hear the term "unmolested" I think of a car that has been sympathetically maintained in original condition, with few, if any modifications.  I met the original owner and the second owner was a friend, so I know the history of the car.  If something needed replacing, original or original style bits were used whenever possible.  When it came time to repair door dings and replace the top, it was repainted the original color and the top was redone in the original color.  Recently the 15 year old Michelin white walls were replaced with the new Coker "Phoenix" reproductions.  One could pick it apart, but only if one were nit-picking, as with any 39 year old vehicle.  That said, if someone were to ask how something should look on a '66 230SL, I think that looking at my car would give one a satisfactory idea of how it probably should be done.  Thanks for posting your comphrehensive catalogue of shots of your blue car!

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havanna Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 12:40:13 by Mike Hughes »
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2005, 13:38:37 »
Wow, Neil,
You certainly have a real gem there, aside from the cancellation of your 'date'.  Hint, maybe the car is jealous that you are going out with another lady, like in the "Herbie" movies.
I too admire the looks of the originality, the paint dots, the original paint, the chalk marks all over the car.  
I too have 2 230SL's one is a 1963 and it is totally molested with cowhide and suede leather interior, and orange paint-a far cry from the original navy blue with red leather interior.  The other is a 1967 230SL with a diesel motor and it was and still is a 4,723 mile car from new, still has the paint dots, original undercoating, rear wheel wells and trunk.  All these areas show the orignal, the rest is damaged by weather or accident(massive frontal).  I have committed the worst sacrilege known by putting a diesel motor into this low mile car.  So whatever you all may call me or threaten me with, it's not going to change a thing.
So Neil, keep on posting the pictures and do stay with us and enjoy the SL chatter.
Also I notice the absence of the middle chrome rail for the softtop case cover.  I have one on my 1963 where the fabric is seperated from the painted metal.  I'll post a picture later when I get the hardtop off and if you can stand the ugly orange paint.

Walter Klatt

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2005, 16:15:44 »
Neil.
I have a 1987 Ford Mustang LX notchbach sedan 5.0. unmolested as well all orginal paint ,interior engine bay and power train . I hardly drive it it sits beside the 280SL  I am now restoring at work with still under 6000 miles since new. I have done the service on all fluids and driven it some , but when I got the 280SL my attention and funds shifted to try and get the SL roadworthy again to drive and dispay at club shows

I enjoyed your posted pictures but I am not the computer gick as I am with 280SL stuff. I would enjoy if you could copy all of your pictures on to a CD for me so I can add it to my library. It is sad that none of the SL book I have have as good documentation as you have done. I am very glad you shared this with us.
Sincerely
Bob Geco
bobgeco@cs.com
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 16:18:54 by Bob G »

Jazn

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2005, 17:09:39 »
I was one of the people interested in seeing pics of your car.  So thanks, as for all the comments regarding your description, everything is relative to the mouth it comes from.  
Thanks again, helpful to me.
Mine looked similar and now I am redoing a lot that has just worn out (motor mount and subframe mount).  Also, my fan seems to be aluminum, but my SL is much younger than yours (65 230).

« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 17:40:12 by Jazn »

n/a

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2005, 07:24:06 »
I have just updated this site in response to a flood of requests. More updates will follow in the next few days.

Cheers!

Neil Rote, Melbourne Australia
Unrestored '64

Dick M

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2005, 10:35:06 »
Neil..
Great job on the photos and web site.  

As you "make the car sparkel" will you share wth us how you do it as well as the results.  I don't think we've had enough "how to" discussion on detailing engine compartment or undercarraige.

Dick M
1970 280SL