Author Topic: Rust repairs  (Read 4049 times)

domingo_santo

Rust repairs
« on: January 24, 2005, 18:07:07 »
Greetings to all.  I am posting some pictures of rust repairs to my "lover" as my wife call my 69, 280 SL. Anyway is the only girl she will accept in our garage.
It is my intention to receive critics, advises, questions that will help me and others on this project.
I have lot of pictures of different repairs that would like to share if anyone is interested.
Taken apart rust parts was done mechanically, hand hammer, air hammer, drills around solder points, air nibbler, air saw, angular sander etc. but never using Oxi-acetilene torch as is the rule in our country, Dominican Republic.
Soldering is been done with a mig welder using CO2 as the gas.
Rust protective paint over welds is Rust-Oleum 769.
Sorry the pictures could not be posted due to their size aprox 500kb I will try later to reduce size.

Juan Tomas Santos.
Thanks for taking the time to read.

Ben

Re: Rust repairs
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 05:10:16 »
Hello Juan,
    I would be very interested to see any photos you have as I am contemplating some bodywork repaiurs myself later this year. The one thiung this site doesn't have is "in progrees" bodywork photos !

If you cant post them here please I would appreciate it if you emailed them to me direcytly at bencosgrave@torsion.iol.ie

Thanks !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

Mike Heagney

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 05:58:01 »
Hi Domingo,
I would be very interested in your photos;I am working on the body at present.I gather you have done the repairs yourself as its in your garage, or have you got some help ?
Start those picies rollin in.
Cheers, Mike
64  230 SL..in boxes.

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 16:04:33 »
This IS interesting. There's also very little said about how to do rust repairs and how to fit frame rails. Only a real body man should speak about fitting panels and that's not me.

I've replaced frame rails, floor pans, trunk floor and firewalls. Many other areas I've spot repaired or purchased the whole repair piece, cut off what I needed and only cut out what was bad. Removing the whole part when you don't need to is a mistake you only make once ~)

Make no mistake though - it's really hard and grity work. Wear heavy leather gloves, saftey glasses and hearing protection. You can hurt yourself in ways that remain hidden for years. Hearing loss, dirt in my eyes and shoulder pain
are things I suffer from at age 50.
I eventually HAD to use head phones - ANY loud noise hurts me ( I love racing though and put up with that ) I always wore gloves and now use safety glasses.
 Blowing parts off with compressed air is far more dangerous than you might think. Small chips of loose dirt or paint ( far worse )can fly up and get into your eyes. Paint chips can be very sharp and cut right through the eye ball. Yeah, it hurts. A LOT........

Daniel G Caron
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

domingo_santo

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005, 11:52:31 »
Sorry to all whom where waiting for the pictures to be posted. I do not know the reason but were unable to post them.  Anyway anyone interested I can sent to their direct mail address.  I would like to receive picture of rust repairs too as one always learn even from pictures.
Thanks and regards.

Juan Tomas Santos
Dominican Republic.
1969 280SL 4sp.

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2005, 10:10:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by domingo_santo

Sorry the pictures could not be posted due to their size aprox 500kb I will try later to reduce size.
They need to be 80kb or less.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

Malc

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 03:55:25 »
Jaun,
Welcome to the welders club! :)  If you can see if you can get a CO2/Argon gas mix for your MIG welding. It seems to be better than just straight CO2

Good luck with youur welding etc as I will be joining you, hopefully this year to get my old girl back into shape!
Malc
Scotland