Author Topic: Ebay Strategies  (Read 7240 times)

Douglas

Ebay Strategies
« on: January 25, 2005, 08:51:35 »
We often lament bad deals on ebay from unscrupulous sellers, but the thread on the mystery W113 headlights is an excellent example of how there are still bargains to be found as well.

Sometimes people don't know what they're selling, sometimes they just do a bad job of describing the item, sometimes they make a typo in the name (as in the wheels a friend of mine bought for a BMW "CLS" for ridiculous money), or sometimes they just say the wrong thing inadvertently in their description.

It's still a "pig in a poke," but that's part of the fun.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Ebay Strategies
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 09:28:02 »
I've had great success in selling on eBay, just a little bit less in buying.  Caveat Emptor still rules; one of the things I try and stay away from is the "professional sellers".  These guys and gals are simply "out to make a buck" as opposed to "get rid of unwanted items" and that's a big difference.  What is particularly annoying are those professional sellers (you know the ones I'm talking about)that make a business in Mercedes parts for example, but profess to know little about the particular part for sale--and leave it up to you to find out if its appropriate. This is not always the easiest thing to do. There's more then one of them out there, I'm not picking on any one in particular.

When I advertise items I always state that I am not a professional seller, and that the items are leftover from a restoration or otherwise give the reason for sale.  I also do not hide any flaws and am very accurate in the description.

AND always use a charge card or PayPal.  DO NOT ever send a certified check!

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

jmela

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 09:31:04 »
Another strategy is if you haven't already, check a bidding service called www.esnipe.com . Makes all last-second bidding problems (computer related, irritating those around you by dashing to the computer at odd hours, etc) a thing of the past. Enters a last-second bid for you at your specified amount.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 09:31:38 by jmela »

Douglas

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 09:46:02 »
I noticed that the professional sellers love to take plain-jane sedan parts and market them as SL parts. The part will very often fit both models, but they know full well that once you say "SL" in the description it makes the part command more money. (A certain seller outside of Baltimore loves that strategy!)

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 11:14:16 »
The last minute bid strategy can be a pain in the keyster. I try to monitor the types of things I am looking for to get a feel for price, and then enter what I am willing to pay, and then wait for the auction to end. Sometimes getting caught up in a last minute set up can lead to a good degree of over pay.

That said, I have had pretty good luck finding literature, brochures, some nameplates, and the like. But Mike sure is correct about "caveat emptor".

Good point thought about sellers adding the "SL" to get a higher price, even though the stuff is pretty available.

Jonny B
1967 250SL Auto
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Kenneth Gear

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Fairfax Station
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2005, 12:54:55 »
Another red flag for me "I'm selling it for a friend"  

I believe this is a way of denying any specfic knowledge of the item being sold.

Ken G
1971 280 SL
Silver/red
Ken G
1971 280 SL Silver/red

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2005, 14:46:15 »
quote:
Originally posted by Kgear

Another red flag for me "I'm selling it for a friend"  

I believe this is a way of denying any specfic knowledge of the item being sold.

Ken G
1971 280 SL
Silver/red

...Exactly!!!  And even more annoying is that the protection that eBay and Paypal etc. offer the buyer is minimal at best, and you can't talk to a human being if you have a problem.  The "standards" of business of a lot of sellers is significantly less then a street vendor in NYC.  I'll be happy to tell people off line about the story of my three grill surrounds...

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

norton

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2005, 15:40:52 »
After over paying for a couple of 113 parts on eBay, I always check prices with our online vendors before I bid, and I alway check availablty when the Ebay ad lists the item as NLA or rare, most times the part is still available from MB, and below the starting bid price of the eBay part.

pagode.info

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2005, 02:25:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by norton

After over paying for a couple of 113 parts on eBay, I always check prices with our online vendors before I bid, and I alway check availablty when the Ebay ad lists the item as NLA or rare, most times the part is still available from MB, and below the starting bid price of the eBay part.

Norton explained best what do :-)

In Germany for example almost ALL new items ob Ebay
are sold at higher prices than independend dealers
are asking for the same part. Believing to be at the
cheapest place on earth, nobody compares the prices
any more.

I have few customers buying the same small bits and pieces
from me every week. Few days later I can watch the parts
on Ebay getting more that double the price that I´m asking
on my website.

Same "upside down" with used parts. I stock tons of worn
out items that I never would offer to anybody, because they
would return it anyway. At the same time I watch private
dealers, who do not have to offer any return policy, getting
big money for scrap metal.

Tom

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2005, 06:34:18 »
I will certainly back up what Norton and Tom said, and not only for spare parts. I use ebay to look for literature and brochures and such, and the comparison shopping advice is good. I will check amazon, powells (Portland Or), bookfinder and the like, and will often times find things at lower prices. Ebay is a great place, but it is not necessarily always the bargain place.

Jonny B
1967 250SL Auto
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

TheEngineer

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, West Seattle, WA
  • '69 280SL,Signal Red,
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2005, 21:57:09 »
It appears that eBay is as varied as people come: Most of the time the sellers are honest, but I've also run across some real shady ones. It is a humbling experience when I get screwed: I recently bought a "Club LX" but received the old, cheaper model Club. I returned it but got no tracking number. The seller claims,he never received it back and I'm out the purchase price. I then bid on another "Club LX" and was outbid. Immediately I was given a "second chance" and I bought it at my last bid price. After I confirmed my payment on PayPal, there was a screen with the other items the seller offered: There was a "Club LX" at a much lower price "Buy it now". Like I said: It is a real humbling experience.
'69 280SL,Signal Red, 09 cam, License BB-59U
'67 230SL, 113042-10-017463 (sld)
'50 Jaguar Roadster XK120, #670.318 (sld)
tired engineer, West-Seattle,WA

norton

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2005, 09:32:20 »
Here's a good example, a injector pump filter, The price at Miller's is $27 us but on eBay the starting bid for this rare part (not) is $39
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7950543620&category=33553  :?   :evil:   :(

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2005, 11:08:00 »
Something else to consider, is to every now and then, try some different approaches to items. I use my ebay for standard searches, but these might not find other Mercedes related items, not specific to the SL or just not listed correctly (rare any more). Or what I thought might be a unique to 113 part could turn out to be across the range of cars for a given set of years. For example, I was trying to find the plastic fuse box to include in the tool roll, and finally found one for sale as a standard (of the era) Mercedes item, listed as Mercedes Fuse box. The hubcap masking tool is another example.

Jonny B
1967 250SL Auto
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

norton

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2005, 11:45:16 »
SSSSSSSSSSSShh jonny don't go tellin every body that 108, 109 and 111 parts fit our 113's  you'll ruin me. ;)

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2005, 06:46:56 »
Oooh, I let the electrons out of the bag! I retract it all, I deny I said anything...

Jonny B
1967 250SL Auto
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2005, 12:17:43 »
And now you know why I have limited use for ebay. If I got an engine part from some '' vendor '' and it failed, who do you think would end up going good for it? There are a lot more bogus parts in MB packaging than you might think.

Ebay IS a good source for those who are willing to do their homework and take a chance on someone's say so. I'd stick with the specialty dealers for engine parts and other important pieces. Most people are OK and some aren't.

A guy I know about just bought a 190SL out west for about $32,000.00 USD so it should be a nice car. It is, except the carbs were replaced by a little single barrel unit and the heater boxes are either missing or junk. There's no air box, throttle linkage, manifolds or air filter assembly. Total replacement costs are quite a bit plus all the installation time. Used carbs usually need to be rebuilt and that is very exspensive.

At the price he paid the car it should have been right in all these areas - it is cosmeticly. I asked why he didn't spot this in the pictures and he said the engine bay picture was only ONE picture from one side and it didn't show the missing parts. Since he paid to have it shipped 3,000 miles, paid all the taxes at the border and had it imported into Canada it's not like he can send it back all that easily.
I offered the idea of giving the seller a bad rating but he didn't seem interested and just wants to fix up the car ( maybe ) and not keep it.

Obviously, this whole deal is riddled with question marks. ( ???????????? )

Daniel G Caron
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2005, 14:15:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by Benz Dr.

...A guy I know about just bought a 190SL out west for about $32,000.00 USD so it should be a nice car. It is, except the carbs were replaced by a little single barrel unit and the heater boxes are either missing or junk. There's no air box, throttle linkage, manifolds or air filter assembly...

At the price he paid the car it should have been right in all these areas - it is cosmeticly. I asked why he didn't spot this in the pictures and he said the engine bay picture was only ONE picture from one side and it didn't show the missing parts.

Of course they didn't show in the picture- they were missing!  :^)

Seriously, he should at least put in a buyer's report on the seller (assuming that the car was represented as original, which it bloody well should have been at that price!).  I hope he keeps it and enjoys it for a while after he gets it right.

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havanna Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)