Author Topic: Reinstalling auto trans shift linkage - HELP  (Read 4372 times)

blairwag

Reinstalling auto trans shift linkage - HELP
« on: July 17, 2005, 21:39:18 »
My repair nightmare started this weekend with attempting to replace the shift bushes on the transmission linkage and reinstalling it.

I successfully replaced the transmission/rear-motor mount without having to take down the triangle shapped transmission mount plate. So, that was cool, because I DEFINITEY would have needed to move the exhaust to get that plate down. And, I took Matt's advice (Merrill, see http://index.php?topic=3717) on removing the shifter from the cabin. Okay, so I have the shifter removed, and I now have the new shift bushes neatly pressed into the eyes of the shift linkage rod. However, I can not - for the life of me - figure out how to put this linkage rod back in.

Keep in mind, the thing fell off both the transmission gear selector AND the shifter at the same time. So, I never saw this thing installed correctly.

I'm attempting to position and route the linkage rod as per the diagram in the BBB Fig. 27-23/1a (page 27-23/2). Is that wrong?

Can anyone explain to me how this rod is correctly routed?

I seem to bump into the transmission mount bracket and the intermediate drive shaft.

The trans gear selector is on the left side (driver side, US model) of the drive shaft, but the shifter lever is on the right (passenger) side.

Here is a picture of what I've got. This picture is taken, from underneath the car, near the rear, looking forward. Looking at the rear of the transmission through the drive shaft access hole. You can see the shift rod lever in the top center of the picture, just to the right (passenger side, US model) of the drive shaft. You can see the transmission mount bottom left of the picture.

Download Attachment: IMG0523.jpg
76.15 KB

Somehow, the rod needs to get from the shifter rod connector, around that drive shaft, left of the transmission mount, and down through to the transmission gear selector. I just can't seem to figure it out.

Can you help?  Any chance someone has a car on a lift - and can take a picture? I really need help with this one - I just can't seem to figure it out!

Thanx for any and all help.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William Blair Wagner: blairwag@earthlink.net
Education is not always knowing the answer,
...but rather knowing where to look for it!
1971 280SL US Automatic
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 21:46:09 by blairwag »

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
Re: Reinstalling auto trans shift linkage - HELP
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 05:36:38 »
Blair
I think you have the gear selector mounted in reverse inside the car. The park position is towards the driver. The sketch shows the stud the other way around with the link rod on the RHS of the gear selector lever.

Also clean around the stud on the lever. It looks like there is some of the old bush still there and if so, it will prevent the new bush from clipping on.
The back of the stud should have a taper like the front.

Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 06:04:03 by hands_aus »
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

blairwag

Re: Reinstalling auto trans shift linkage - HELP
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 20:30:00 »
Oh mny gosh!   I feel like such a dummy.  The shift cover plate must have gotten rotated 180 degrees between taking it off and attempting to replace it. Well that explains that.  I fell like uch a dummy.  I'm not usually this dense. Thank you, Bob - for your reply! I'll get to it tonight ( I hope ).

--
William Blair Wagner: blairwag@earthlink.net
Education is not always knowing the answer,
...but rather knowing where to look for it!
1971 280SL US Automatic