Author Topic: Dash Speaker  (Read 7016 times)

Ed Cave

Dash Speaker
« on: February 08, 2005, 22:05:13 »
I know, I know I've been going on and on too long about sound systems and such but I came across a source that may be of interest to many of you.

I was watching "My Classic Car" with Dennis Gage last night and they started talking about a source for upgrading old in-dash speakers. I have not confirmed the compatibility of any of the speakers on this site with the space available in the dash of a Pagoda, but was intrigued that a manufacturer had taken such an interest in offering contemporary solutions for the center dash speaker found in many cars of the Pagoda era.

These speakers are marketed toward Chevy's, Ford's and whatnot; you won't find mention of a German car anywhere on this site. Take a second and look at the link below, particularly the speakers near the very bottom of the page. Please also learn from my mistake and understand that the attached photo shows an attempt on my part to bring a stereo solution (very similar to those shown at the top of this link/page) to the center dash that DID NOT FIT. The options on this website were however, enough to get me thinking about the possibilities....

http://www.custom-autosound.com/prodList.php?FamID=1

Download Attachment: Speaker1.jpg
29.38 KB

Ed Cave
Atlanta, GA

1964 356C
1971 280SL
2002 SC430
2004 A4 3.0

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Dash Speaker
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 08:40:05 »
Hi Ed,

The original speaker in the dash of the 113 was typical of the era for mono speakers--junk.  Like tires, speakers have a shelf life that is more affected by temperature, sun exposure and age then anything else; it is near impossible to preserve these things.  Consider them wear items.

While it was hard to source for some years (I think Bud's did take a single small speaker and create a mounting plate to fit the space)a few years ago Becker started making them again.  Last year, they introduced their second generation of this reproduced speaker; Ed Ebel tells me it is superior to the one I bought in 2001 from Becker.

So once again, if you have any questions on this contact Ed Ebel at Becker.

Regarding Stereo, I think Doug Kim has nice "original" small speakers that sit on the left and right kick panels.  I've never heard of what size these are or anything or whether anyone still makes something like this, but for someone looking to improve to stereo without a lot of metal work, this might be the answer.

Someone also once told me to just get a good boom box and put it in the space behind the seats!  The space is not good for too much else (well, a fire extinguisher and some small items), and you can then lock it in the trunk when you are done!  No cutting, wiring or welding or anything like that--and probably very cheap.  Easy to remove for a concours as well! :D

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Ed Cave

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 20:42:48 »
Slightly off topic here, but it is my topic.....

After researching to death the options for having a discrete way to enjoy specific music (as opposed to whatever FM may be offing at the moment) I've settled on this solution. After a couple of weeks on a waiting list, I picked up a new Apple iPod Shuffle today. It is pretty amazing as it weighs only .78 oz or (22 grams). It holds about 240 songs.

It will reside in the ashtray and be tethered to the Europa II from there. Here are a couple of photos to give you an idea how small this thing is. It does however look rather large for some reason when installed on the parcel shelf.

Download Attachment: iPod-in-hand.jpg
27.45 KB

Download Attachment: iPod-with-pen-and-quarter.jpg
17.61 KB

Download Attachment: iPod-on-Parcel-Shelf.jpg
16.69 KB

Ed Cave
Atlanta, GA

1964 356C
1971 280SL
2002 SC430
2004 A4 3.0

norton

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 20:48:11 »
 :D

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005, 15:28:01 »
I said boombox Ed, notB O O M B O X
N.B. nice effect with the B&W shots.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Restored
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2005, 16:45:41 »
BoomBox!!!!!!! how well will the alumimun panels hold up to this. If I want to out boom a boom box I prefer ear muffs or some thing like Sinarta. All though the sweet sound from the tial pipes is music to my ears.

Bob Geco
No boom box in this Mercedes!

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 19:56:30 »
quote:
Originally posted by krwaxbz

BoomBox!!!!!!! how well will the alumimun panels hold up to this. If I want to out boom a boom box I prefer ear muffs or some thing like Sinarta. All though the sweet sound from the tial pipes is music to my ears.

Bob Geco
No boom box in this Mercedes!

Perhaps you didn't read or maybe just misunderstood my post.  To me, a boombox is just "slang" for a portable stereo--plays CD's good sound, am/fm, you can carry it, take to beach, etc.  As a portable unit you can plunk it down behind the seats and have all the sound you want--or don't want--for the price of a Becker speaker--and you don't have to cut anything or mount anything.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Restored
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Douglas

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2005, 21:03:09 »
Ed, will it fit in a glovebox for sure?

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

Ed Cave

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2005, 11:36:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by Douglas

Ed, will it fit in a glovebox for sure?

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

Douglas, I think you meant to say ashtray and yes it will. I have purchased an additional ashtray and have a friend removing the 'snuffer' the bridge across the middle. He says he can cut it out, grind it smooth and buff it up where I will never know it was even there.

Then I plan to line the interior of this 'spare' ashtray with leather to match the other interior components. I actually took this ashtray to the Apple store here to check fit. The Apple shuffle will fit even with the snuffer in place, although deleting the snuffer will make it easier to retrieve. An Apple iPod Mini will even fit but the snuffer must be removed in this case and a low profile 90 degree plug (the cable to connect it to the Becker DIN) is necessary since it plugs into the top of the iPod.

The iPod Shuffle, shown in the photos in my previous post in this thread on 2/9 probably won't even require the 90 degree plug, which by the way is not difficult to find. With the shuffle, you only have the option of playing the (up to 240) songs in a loop or shuffled. In other words, you can't easily select a particular song but for my purposes, it provides plenty of my music in a tiny discrete package.

If it sounds through the car speakers anything at all like it does through the supplied headphones, it should prove to be a really good solution. I think the ability to flip open the ashtray lid, activate the iPod then close the lid again is about as convenient, discrete and isolated as a contemporary after market solution could be.

Ed Cave
Atlanta, GA

1964 356C
1971 280SL
2002 SC430
2004 A4 3.0

69280sl

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Elk Grove
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2005, 16:19:11 »
I installed one of these customsound speaker assemblies in the dash of my 1967 Mustang (same reasoning). Sound quality is mediocre at best and I don't hear any stero effect. Perhaps the two speakers are too close together.

My two cents worth

inspectorgm
Gus

68 280sl, signal red/ beige/black softtop. Car # 1084