Author Topic: removing temp sensor  (Read 4428 times)

Joe

• Silver
  • USA, CO, Colorado Springs
removing temp sensor
« on: May 08, 2003, 11:01:09 »
I've got my dash apart, but cannot get the "nut" off that hold the temp bulb onto the engine. It has just been set too long, I guess.
I put a high-quality 14-mm open-end wrench to it, and it is starting to round the nut, rather than loosen it. I soaked it with penetrating oil and gave it a couple of short raps with a punch, but that didn't help.
I really don't like messing with this part, as the line is probably sensitive and easy to break, but I do want to get my instrument glass out for cleaning. I would prefer to do this task at the work bench rather than behind the steering wheel with the temp sensing line still attached.
Any advice is appreciated.Joe

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
Re: removing temp sensor
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2003, 13:53:43 »
Joe,
I agree, the capillary is quite fragile and one should not mess with it. I suggest removing the rectangular box (I call it a 'teapot' because it has a container and a spout!)on which it fits. its held onto the head by one long bolt. Of course you have to disconnect the hose and the temp switch wires.
Once its off, you could persevere with the nut if required.I still did the glass removal and other work 'in situ'(because pulling the bulb out thru the firewall may be quite a job) but of course pulling the capillary back gives more working room.
naj

naj
hobel 65 230SL
jalopyno 68 280SL
« Last Edit: May 08, 2003, 13:57:46 by naj »
68 280SL

n/a

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2003, 07:33:24 »
Naj,
How did you remove the gauge glass? I would like to clean the inside of the glass, but have been afraid to attempt to remove it. I relize that I will need to pull the gauge cluster out from its position in the dash, but I am hesitant to try to remove the chrome ring and glass without having some instructions.
Any tips?
Thanks.

Regards,
Stan

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2003, 10:28:53 »
Stan,
The glass comes out the same way as speedo/tacho glass by un-doing the rim on the back of the cluster. The rheostat knob comes out with the glass as it is separate from the rheostat spindle. May have to persevere with it as it may have slight oxidation and stuck to the spindle.
naj

naj
hobel 65 230SL
jalopyno 68 280SL
« Last Edit: May 18, 2003, 10:29:31 by naj »
68 280SL

Ben

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2003, 03:39:34 »
The threads are probably seized up with corrosion and old crusty coolant. If you take the housing off as Naj says you could probably squirt some PlusGas onto the back of the sender and leave it to penetrate !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.