Author Topic: Fuel Lines  (Read 8597 times)

Sphe

Fuel Lines
« on: July 10, 2003, 11:44:41 »
I'm in the process of restoring my car, and I'm cleaning out the gas tank. I know there's still old gas in the fuel lines, what's the best/easiest way of clearing out this old gas?

George Davis

Re: Fuel Lines
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2003, 17:14:24 »
My 2 cents worth, if no one has a better idea: remove fuel filter, discard old gas and filter element, reinstall filter cannister without a filter.  Put a section of hose on the end of the return line and stick the end in a catch can.  Blow compressed air into the fuel delivery line in the normal direction of flow, from the fuel pump end of the line.  Fuel in the delivery line ends up in the filter cannister, fuel in the rest of the system ends up in the catch can.  I think.  Do not blow through the delivery pump, high pressure air may damage seals.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

W113SL

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2003, 06:51:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by Sphe

I'm in the process of restoring my car, and I'm cleaning out the gas tank. I know there's still old gas in the fuel lines, what's the best/easiest way of clearing out this old gas?

In case you need to replace your delivery line and return line, I have three NOS lines.  I would be happy to make you a great deal.  Email off line of interested.

Pete Lesler W113SL@aol.com

Sphe

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2003, 12:51:34 »
Would it be best to just replace the fuel lines or should I try to vent them first? And how much would it cost to replace the lines? There's all sorts of different types of lines in the "Benz-Bin"

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2003, 16:28:40 »
If you have no rust or varnish in the fuel, it's easist to just let the electric fuel pump push the fuel through the whole system and let it drain out the return line to the tank.  The fuel system is a complete circut, so just break the circut by taking the return line off.  DO NOT do this if you have anything in your fuel or fuel tank that will damage the electric fuel pump.

Rodd
1966 230SL Euro
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

Sphe

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2003, 22:35:09 »
DEFINITELY rust and/or varnish in the tank. What should I do then?

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2003, 10:08:58 »
Then leave the fuel pump out of the equation and find a way to use compressed air as noted by George.

Rodd
1966 230SL Euro
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

George Davis

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2003, 11:20:03 »
Regarding the fuel lines, there are 2 metal pipes (delivery and return), which I'd only replace if they were damaged or rusty, plus 7 rubber hose sections, which I advocate replacing.  35 year old rubber fuel lines tend to be brittle and cracked, basically not very trustworthy.  There are 3 hose sections at the tank/fuel pump, and 4 in the engine compartment.  You can probably do all of them for around $80-100.

The hoses are similar for all models, but there are some differences in end fittings here and there, so order from someone who really knows their stuff, like Ray Paul at SL Classics.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual