Author Topic: Reasonable paint job  (Read 1932 times)

MarkCan

• Silver
  • Canada, Ontario, Mississauga
Reasonable paint job
« on: October 01, 2023, 01:24:18 »
I’m looking for the reasonable paint shop.
I appreciate good leads if you have any.
Bellow is the shell of my W113. Stripped and epoxy primed. There are few minor dings from transport or storage. It needs the final prep and the paint. Body is on the dolly and completely stripped of all the components.
I am located in Mississauga, Ontario  but willing to drive to the right place.

Tycoon

• Regular
  • Canada, Ontario, Blue Mountains
  • ‘68 Euro 280
Re: Reasonable paint job
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2023, 03:12:10 »
Mark,
I would highly recommend 427 Auto Collision in Etobicoke, Ontario. ( not far from you) They have been refinishing
German automobiles for over 40 years…..Given the state of your restoration, they should be reasonably priced, but not cheap….. You will get what you pay for! Hope you’re not in a rush as these guys are busy, for a reason.
Worth the wait,
Bill

MarkCan

• Silver
  • Canada, Ontario, Mississauga
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2023, 17:36:45 »
Thanks Bill,
I visited few of those big shops and they are not interested in complete jobs.
I’ve been told straight, “we rather change and paint the fender twice” and still come ahead. All this aside, I’m willing to take part and do all the dirty bits, like sending for example. Don’t we have a painter here on the forum?

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2023, 20:13:00 »
There's several painters here, myself included. Did 4 cars past 2 years and currently three planned: one Alfa and two FIAT's. I love painting classic cars, and for silly money out-of-pocket cost-wise (less than $1,000 per car all-in). My son's 240Z probably took me around 24 hours to do including all glass out and back in, some rust repairs and body work. Came out beautiful, as did my Lancia.
I have to think there must be smaller shops that would be eager to take on your SL at a reasonable cost.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Leester

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Lorton
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2023, 23:29:48 »
I can really sympathize with Mark. My car was in almost exactly the same shape as Mark's. I live in Northern Virginia and found a place during Covid 100 miles away. The car needed a little metal work (most had been done by a previous garage). They did a very nice job but told me they probably lost money on the deal and probably wouldn't do another. They just make too much money on insurance claims. but keep looking, there is someone out there and good luck, Mark.
Lee Backus
1963 220SE Cabriolet
1970 280SL (reassembling - hopefully soon)
1978 450SL (disassembled for paint)
1985 500SEC