Author Topic: Replacement Brake Reservoir and Washer Bag/Cap  (Read 2548 times)

JPMOSE

• Gold
  • USA, DE, Harbeson
Replacement Brake Reservoir and Washer Bag/Cap
« on: February 03, 2006, 08:38:15 »
This topic may seem "over the top" to some but here it goes....I needed to replace my master cyl. so I thought I might as well get a new reservoir.  I also ordered a washer bag and cap.  The parts were ordered from one of the common Pagoda parts sites and not the dealer.  My car is a late 250SL so the brake reservoir has the dual switches in it.  The new item received is an ATE reservoir but it looks different.  I would really like to keep everything looking original.  Does anyone know if a Mercedes dealer ordered reservoir will be the same as original?   If not, I will clean up the old one and live with the "yellow" appearance.

The washer bag replacement does not have metal grommets in the two holes.  Again...would a dealer ordered bag be different?  

The original water bag CAP has one hole in the middle.  The replacement has a three (each with a punch out).  Any source of the original?

Yes....I am an authenticity nut!!!

Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 05:46:32 by JPMOSE »
Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1970 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet
1987 560SL

Kenneth Gear

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Fairfax Station
Re: Replacement Brake Reservoir and Washer Bag/Cap
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 11:52:27 »
The original style reservoir is no longer available.  I ran into the same issue and cleaned up my old one. I like the yellowed look better.

As for the washer bag, again, to the best of my knowledge the original style no longer exists although ocasionally you'll see one on ebay.

Ken G
1971 280 SL
Silver/red
Ken G
1971 280 SL Silver/red

Tom Colitt

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 12:01:45 »
Hi J.P.

I have several of the correct, original washer brand new bottles from VDO, with the BRASS grommets in stock. MB or anybody else do not suply these anymore. The same goes for the brake reservoir which has been superceded to a 107 roadster part, but unfortunately I have not been able to get these reproduced yet.

I think you may be able to ask for your money back, if they sent you a different part than you had originally ordered.

If you are interested in the original washer bottle pouches, please email me at info@classicautosla.com

Regards Tom Colitt
ClassicAutosLA

Tom Colitt

JPMOSE

• Gold
  • USA, DE, Harbeson
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 05:55:24 »
I decided to stick with my original "yellow" stained reservoir.  I took it all apart and cleaned it thoroughly (didn't really make any difference).   :(

Tom...let me think about the washer bag.  The original one really isn't too bad.  I figured if I replace the brake reservoir, I should also do the washer bag so they are both clear looking.  So with keeping the original brake reservoir, I might as well stick with the original "bag" as well.  :)

While you're looking into a "true" reproduction reservoir...maybe you can talk someone into making a firewall pad that matches the original pattern.   :D

Thanks for all the help!

Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1970 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet
1987 560SL