Author Topic: Leather Suppliers and Seat Pad Question  (Read 1937 times)

Hans2012

• Senior
  • USA, TX, Houston
Leather Suppliers and Seat Pad Question
« on: December 16, 2020, 16:11:09 »
I am considering a complete replacement of the cognac leather interior in my 1971 W113.  I have the upholsterer lined up (in Texas) and now want to look at the material.  A couple of questions:

- It appears from posts that GAHH remains the most reliable supplier for the material.  Is that correct?

- What is the current thinking on replacement seat cushions?  It looks like there are good options for either horsehair/coconut fiber (more original) or foam.

- Has anyone sourced the color-coded plastic grommet covers that were originally installed on the headrests for access to the adjustment mechanism?

I look forward to comments.  I realize there are many posts on this topic but I am looking for recent experience.  Much appreciated.

Thanks
John
Texas
1971 280 SL - 268 Dark Green - Cognac Leather
Restored

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
Re: Leather Suppliers and Seat Pad Question
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 16:52:39 »
I'm no help on the leather, but the grommets are available from Bud's Benz
https://www.budsbenz.com/catalog/230-250-280-sl/v-upholstery/V240-021
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
Re: Leather Suppliers and Seat Pad Question
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 04:03:22 »
There have been extensive discussions on these forums about upholstery. The main suppliers who are listed in the Tech Manual pretty much source their materials from the same suppliers.

I am currently working direct with Hydes Leather (not a normal arrangement) to get a matching color and grade to the seat covers and door panels I ordered through German Auto Tops. After deciding to go with "Old Timer" Bright Red for my seats and not ordering the dash leather at the same time turned into numerous emails, phone calls and mailing of samples. The hide is coming from Germany but will first be sent to Poland to get skived before it gets shipped to me in the US. I expect to receive it soon.

In any case, if you haven't already done so, there are some decisions you will need to make before you order anything. The main decision is deciding what kind of leather you want. The standard offering from the main suppliers only compares in color to the leather originally used by Mercedes on the W113. Original leather was vegetable dyed. It had the color and finish on one side of the hide and was left natural on the back side. Today's more common offering is vat dyed where the color is through the leather. This can be an advantage since it is less prone to wear but also will not feel as supple as original. Then you have to request to have the material used to wrap dash panels to be skived otherwise it will not stretch and conform to the curves.
Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Originally Light Ivory - Now Anthracite Gray Metallic