Author Topic: Hardtop MB Tex Replacment  (Read 2663 times)

George Des

Hardtop MB Tex Replacment
« on: April 17, 2005, 17:56:19 »
I need to replace the MB Tex strip below the rear window on my hardtop. The portion of the strip that goes under the hardtop itself is fairly easy to figure out but what about the portion that goes over the top and sits directly under the rear window. Anybody know how this attaches and waht needs to come out to replace the strip. Has anyone had any luck cleaning up the ehadliner. Mine is actually in good shape but is extremely dirty from almost 40 years of use. Has the usual brown stains in several areas and I'm sure some of the discoloration is from those long trips I used to make in my much younger days from Germany (Kaiserslautern) down to Pisa, Italy when I could go through about two packs of Marlboro. Gave up that bad habit in 1982 but still have the 230SL!!

George Des

Malc

Re: Hardtop MB Tex Replacment
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 06:03:32 »
George,
I would have a go at cleaning it first, rather than replacing....
I have had good luck cleaning headlinings etc with my "secret" recipe, well it isn't so secret now...... ;)

mix up in warm water some floor cleaner and a little laundry detergent.
I find tha ASDA floor cleaner (Wal-Mart in the USA) and "Persil" seem to be the best.
Arm yourself with a soft toothbrush and a small sponge....

Wipe on some of the brew with the sponge gently scrub with the sponge and or the toothbrush and then wipe off with a tea towel or other linen cloth.
Don't soak the lining and do a small patch at a time.  

You may have to go round a couple of times

Don't do what I did once which was to clean a headlining in the washing machine (Wife was out  :twisted: ).
Boy was it clean but it shrunk by about 20% and it was on cold, gentle wash for woollens.

HTH
Malc