Author Topic: Armrests  (Read 6376 times)

Ricardo

Armrests
« on: April 27, 2005, 09:08:47 »
Well recent musings on the armrest topic has forced me to show my hand...perhaps 8-10 weeks earlier than I anticipated. I have been developing a line of accessories for our cars that includes an armrest. I had hoped to be up and running before now but there are several hats to wear when starting a new business. Product development has been my main focus but I have the bureaucratic details to take care of, plus website design, packaging etc. etc. it's all taking longer than I'd like. So, since the topic has risen and at the risk of being branded a commercial poster, I'm going to include some preliminary photos of what I've been up to. I have just received my shipment from World Upholstery so I will have the range of interior colors they offer. Other products I'm working on include a wood windscreen, that will look correct for our cars. I hope folks will find these items interesting and I'm open to suggestions
Ricardo
SL Extras

This is the light color of my refinished  interior wood
Download Attachment: SL Extras 004.jpg
64.27 KB
The armrest has a sliding top which extends half again the length of the box and has storage inside. The box can be positioned anywhere along the length of the tray. The prototypes are black
Download Attachment: SL Extras 012.jpg
81.79 KB
These are the two types of cupholder (one for A/C)and the two colors that I have been able to match
Download Attachment: SL Extras 022.jpg
76.9 KB
I also have a front nosepad with reinforced top for engine removal

Download Attachment: fenderpads.JPG
41.66 KB
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 09:19:06 by Ricardo »

tdun824259

• Regular
  • USA, NE, Grand Island
Re: Armrests
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 17:00:47 »
Ricardo,

I'd like to see a picture of the wind screen and a cost if and when you are ready for production.

tdun824259
1971 280 SL

Ben

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 03:44:33 »
Mmmm nice work Ricardo !

I would be interested in the armrest and cupholder tray, preferably unfinished as my wood is lighter and quite faded. Can you advise cost and also advise how the front cupholder tray is secured ?

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

Ricardo

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 06:27:47 »
Hi Ben
I won't list prices here, as I'm not yet ready to sell and it would be an improper use of this list. I think folks will find the prices quite reasonable as I have low overhead. My fully equipped woodworking shop has been dormant since leaving the kitchen cabinet and custom furniture business several years ago. I will be offering the tray and armrest unfinished or I will match to a commercial finish(Minwax) so that folks can use their own tray to compare with the samples at their local suppliers. I beleive Dr. Dan is right, that originally the wood was a darker red/brown and that most of the lighter wood is simply refinished with clear or light colored stain.
The cuptray fits snuggly against the fiberboard underdash panels and has a strip of velcro hooks on the bottom side that grabs the carpet...it doesn't move but can be easily lifted out. The armrest is the same. I know folks don't want to fasten accessories which can't be easily removed or that require screws so I have designed the armrest to be a snug fit in the tray and with the velcro, it stays put.

Ben

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 09:06:39 »
Okay sounds good !

I'm interested so keep me posted then when you are ready let me know !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.