Author Topic: wind deflector  (Read 18664 times)

George Davis

Re: wind deflector
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2005, 10:03:35 »
I posted details on the homemade wind deflector in a separate post, see

http://index.php?topic=3135

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

n/a

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2005, 20:22:23 »
George,

I have a bit of problem: I have a side facing jump seat that does not leave me with enough room to hang the shelf. I am thinking about fabricating the plexiglas screen and attach it to the headrests with velcro straps (similar to one design I have seem out there in the market). My question is: Do I need to have the space behind the seats covered in order for the windscreen to be effective? If so, I think I will try to find a thin cardboard; cover it with vinyl, and attach it to the car with some velcro or something to cover-up the space. Like to hear some opinion about the shelf.

Louis

gwuisman

• Senior
  • Netherlands, Zuid-Holland, Oegstgeest
  • Keep it simpel
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2005, 06:22:05 »
Louis,

As I understand the shelf is necessary to prevent an air stream from under the screen. This stream will be caused by the under pressure behind the screen when driving. The passengers get an unpleasant airflow in their middle and things would be blown out of the car. The wind deflector I have, even has a piece of vinyl that covers the gap between the screen and the bottom panels. I saw mesh deflectors have it too. Its not only to cover the stored items but it also protects them from being driven out by the turbulence which still is there at higher speeds.

Gerard Wuisman
1970n 280sl
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 06:27:08 by gwuisman »

wildatheart

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2005, 11:59:34 »
I bought one through the UK Mercedes Owners club and I wouldn't want to be without it. It makes long motorway driving possible; last summer I drove from the South of France to Holland with the roof down the whole way. Without the wind deflector it would, in my experience, have been impossible to do with the roof down. The deflector uses the bolts that hold the seat belts, so there are no modifications to the car.

My deflector does not have any additional screen to cover the luggage area; despite this, I have had a reduction in things blowing about with the screen up.

1970 280SL
1965 Volvo 122S
1986 Ford Capri 280 Brooklands
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 12:05:33 by wildatheart »

Dick M

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2005, 12:07:25 »
Japp,
Can you post a picture of your wind screen showing seat belt bolt mount and hing arrangement?

Dick M
1970 280SL
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 12:07:50 by Dick M »

George Davis

« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2005, 12:09:30 »
Louis,

I agree completely with Gerard; the shelf or something that serves the same purpose is critical.  In your case, perhaps a panel that fits behind the seats and extends up to about the height of the headrests would work.  I'm imagining something that would sit on the floor and be contoured to fit over the tunnel or something like that, secured by straps to the seats or perhaps some sort of braces that attach someplace convenient (not sure where that is right now).  It'll be very turbulent behind such a panel, so loose items back there will soon be... Gone with the Wind.  Sorry.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

wildatheart

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2005, 12:12:09 »
Originally posted by Dick M

Japp,
Can you post a picture of your wind screen showing seat belt bolt mount and hing arrangement?

Sure -I'll try & take a pic tomorrow and will post it here.

Jaap

1970 280SL
1965 Volvo 122S

n/a

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2005, 12:30:35 »
Here is a wind deflector they claim to be quite effective without the shelf.

http://www.autobarn.net/windspoiler.html

I am thinking about fabricating something like this and then build a shelf using thin material like cardboard or plexiglas to cover the back. Do I have to worry about the gap between the shelf and the screen? Japp's experience seems to suggest that a screen without the shelf would work also.

Louis

gwuisman

• Senior
  • Netherlands, Zuid-Holland, Oegstgeest
  • Keep it simpel
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2005, 02:55:38 »
Louis,

As I already wrote in my post of 23th of March I experience the total covering the gap as usefull. For the working of the deflector it is necessary not onlly for the comfort. If there is a small gap between the shelf and the screen there will be even more turbulense under the screen and the space under the shelf than without shelf. Leaving a small gap you create in a way a situation of the working of a jet motor. Compressed air on the front side of the screen will wil be boosted by the relatively small gap and the under presure on the back side of the screen.

I noticed that on the page of the site you refer to, the wind block with the US flag on the photo under ENTER WIND BAFFLE PRODUCTS!, has a piece of plexy glass mounted between the two seats. I guess this is done to prevent an air stream I mentioned in my earlier post.  I’m not very impressed by the looks of this ensemble. The other two pictures are in my opinion a little bit flattering the product by leaving this part.

Gerard Wuisman
1970 280sl
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 03:09:12 by gwuisman »

n/a

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2005, 12:30:05 »
Gerard,

A screen and a separate shelf is probably a bad idea based on your input. I am still waiting to see Japp's windblock since he is reporting good results from a screen without additional shelf to cover the luggage area. Thank you for your help.

Louis
70 280sl red

wildatheart

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2005, 13:14:57 »
Hi Dick M, IL2002 and others, below some pics of my winddeflector. Contrary to some other posts here, I find that the deflector brings benefit even with the sidewindows down, although it's certainly most effective with them up. Great for Motorway driving -in town (where, let's face it, most of the posing is done!) I put it down. One drawback of this setup is that you do have to get out of the car to put the screen up or down.

http://www.jaapphoto.com/rear.jpg
http://www.jaapphoto.com/rearquart.jpg
http://www.jaapphoto.com/frontquart.jpg
http://www.jaapphoto.com/closeuphinge.jpg
http://www.jaapphoto.com/down.jpg

I tried to upload these images to this post itself, but no success. Each time it says the image has been uploaded successfully, but it doesn't appear on the post...any tips?

Jaap

1970 280SL
1965 Volvo 122S
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 13:21:26 by wildatheart »

n/a

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2005, 13:32:58 »
Jaap,

Great pics and thank you for all your help.  Do you experience any wind coming from behind the screen through the space between the seats like some other posts have suggected?

Thanks,
Louis

wildatheart

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2005, 13:43:10 »
quote:
Originally posted by ll2002

Jaap,
Do you experience any wind coming from behind the screen through the space between the seats like some other posts have suggected?

I wouldn't leave very light items (sheets of paper) behind the seats, as those will, of course, fly up and out. Heavier items (a book) stay down no problem. I have never noticed any hard wind coming from between the seats into the passenger area. I have driven many miles with my girlfriend in the car, wearing summery skirts (the girlfriend, not me), and she has never mentioned it either. 8)

Jaap

1970 280SL
1965 Volvo 122S

Dick M

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2005, 20:26:05 »
Jaap...
Excellent..
How did you decide on the hight?
Thanks very much for sharing your design.

Dick M
1970 280SL

wildatheart

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2005, 06:34:04 »
quote:
Originally posted by Dick M

Jaap...
Excellent..
How did you decide on the hight?

Hi Dick, the brackets were pre-shaped & all I did was install it; so not much decision involved.

Jaap

1970 280SL
1965 Volvo 122S

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2005, 10:23:34 »
I installed mine from http://www.cabriodesign.nl./ today and so far, so good

Easy to fit - the covered hardboard "shelf" fits over the lips of the soft-top well easily enough and the perspex slots onto that really easily

Only "gripes" so far...
The hardboard is black, and I have a cognac interior - So I may be in the market for an offcut of cognac tex or leather
The clips that rest over the soft top well wall are black, not chrome (which would be a little more "in-keeping"
The bracket that fits all the way across the front lip of the shelf (and holds the bottom of the perspex) is slightly longer than I'd like - it digs slightly into the top of the backrest of the kinder seat. it's aluminium so a quick grind will get rid of that

As for driving - great. It works really well and is barely visible. Really happy and an eejit like me could fit it without any long term effects to the car

Another win was they took a £sterling cheque when I bought it.
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather