Author Topic: Free at last, free at last (long winded)  (Read 3743 times)

69280sl

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Elk Grove
Free at last, free at last (long winded)
« on: June 09, 2005, 01:56:00 »
In September of last year, I bid on a 280SL on eBay. I was the high bidder when the auction ended, but the car did not meet the seller's reserve. The next day I had an email from the "lister" who put up the car and was paid a fee by the "owner". The lister said that I was close to the reserve,that we could work out a deal, and arranged a conference call with the owner who answered all my questions (falsely as it turned out) and we made a deal. Within 10 minutes of receiving the car I was on the complaining about gross misrepresentations. The sheet metal was not original, the A/C did not work, the upholstery was not leather, there was no documentation to verify the claimed original milage, etc, etc.

The lister said don't worry and the seller never responded. After two fruitless months of phone calls and emails, I filed suit against both in Cook County, Ilinois. Since the lister was in Indiana and the seller was in West Virginia, prosecuting the suit was going to be lengthy and costly. Both parties ignored the complaint, so on May 20th we had a court date to obtain a default judgement for the amount paid plus fees and costs. A few days before the 20th, the lister called my attorney and offered a settlement. Eventually a satisfactory arrangement was reached.

I have today received the money and am in the process of buying a 1968, signal red, 280. It is a super solid car which has spent at least part of its life in Arizona and is a marked contrast to the first car. As soon as I am sure I can reliably make the trip (and if Joe has room for one more), I hope to meet some of you at Blacklick.

Gus
Gus

68 280sl, signal red/ beige/black softtop. Car # 1084

tuultyme

Re: Free at last, free at last (long winded)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 06:04:28 »
Gus
Glad things worked out for you.  We have a small subgroup up here on the North Shore (Illinois) that try to get together monthly.  We are all novices but have learned a lot about our cars from this forum and each other.  So far three of us have plans to go to Ohio in July.  Another traveling member would be very welcome.

Bruce; 268Blaugrun(green) 1970 280SL; IL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 07:51:06 »
Glad to hear that all worked out.  It is disheartening to hear about all these horror stories...

Let the lesson be learned:  Do NOT buy a car sight unseen, ever.  If you can't afford to go and see the car, you probably shouldn't buy it. If you are dealing with any kind of foreigner (that could be an American if you are overseas, so please don't anyone take offense here)deal in CASH ONLY for the amount of the transaction only--and make sure it isn't counterfeit.  Unscrupulous individuals who want to screw you, will.  Even "certified checks" can be "recalled", etc.

Bottom line is if you SEE the car and inspect the car, then there will be no surprises...

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

69280sl

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Elk Grove
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 10:19:58 »
Michael, I belatedly could not agree more. When it comes to buying a Pagoda, don't take anyone's word for anything.

Bruce, Thank you for the invitation to join you on the drive to Columbus. As soon as I satisfy myself that the cars performance is in keeping with that kind of round trip, I will be in touch.

Gus
Gus

68 280sl, signal red/ beige/black softtop. Car # 1084

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 16:43:55 »
Bring it on Gus!
Plenty of room here! Keep us up to date.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 19:49:12 »
Gus, congrats on resolution.    That kind of experience really does hurt ebay's credibility.

My experience was better.

I found a car on ebay but refused to buy through ebay due to caveats.   Negotiated a price by phone subject to inspection.   Traveled the distance and met an inspector for assessment.   The car was represented as a "1-"...on inspection, it was at best a well maintained "2-"...a 25% difference.    We still came to agreement at a lower price (which was still probably too much), but I drove the car 200 miles home that day.

Ironically, it's very well documented car, so I was able to contact the owner of 35 years in Long Beach CA will negotiating the deal...so I got the whole story...
‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 22:39:54 »
Good that you saw it all the way through Gus - fraudulent people count on their victims not having the stamina. See you in Blacklick!

Cees ("Case") Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

France

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Austria, Vorarlberg, Schruns
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 01:21:40 »
Hi Guys,

For a totally different story, Gus, see my writeup two issues ago in Pagoda World about buying my 68 red 280 on eBay.  It was a wonderful experience, and sight unseen.  She is in very good shape and continues to hum like a top 3 years later.  I was extremely lucky to happen on one of those honest people out there.  We put her on the hoist at Twin Cam racing motors last month, and Steve the mad master racer (and notoriously silent Englishman) said and I quote, "Wow, she's in great shape."  It renews your hope for mankind.

Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder
Sarasota FL; Alsace France
Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder seat
Austrian Alps
Think of your Pagoda as a woman with a past...