Author Topic: Engine back on song after total body restoration  (Read 4067 times)

mille

Engine back on song after total body restoration
« on: June 27, 2005, 13:55:01 »
Our 1964 230 SL is currently undergoing a comprehensive body restoration. It is soon to be sand blasted and painted MB 180 silver metallic and we can't wait to get it back on the road again this August. However, our body shop does not have a deeper knowledge of the Pagoda engine - which is a 280 SL in our car by the way - and it would therefore be extremely helpful if some you "guru's" out there could guide us step-by-step on how to get it on song again after the vehicle has been assembled. The engine has not been touched this time and was rebuild some 15.000 km ago.

Thank you - please see attached pics

Cheers

Finn
1964 230 SL 4 speed manual Euro "soon-to-be MB 180 silver metallic"

Download Attachment: P6020552.JPG
73.12 KB

Download Attachment: P6040569.JPG
71.96 KB

Download Attachment: Picture 259.jpg
70.05 KB

Download Attachment: P6200745.JPG
65.9 KB

Download Attachment: P6040571.JPG
84.22 KB

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Engine back on song after total body restoration
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 16:07:51 »
Hello Mille,
Very impressive metal work. It must have taken many, many hours for the dis-assembly and complete paint removal top and bottom!

We will be glad to assist in the mechanical when the time comes.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

ranchomerced

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 18:49:22 »
I hate to say this but you really think this car will be ready in August? Unless these photos were taken a year ago...That is a few days more than two months away.... they still have lots to do just to remove the rusted parts. I tell my customers we are only half done when the car is assembled and running after a restoration of this magnitude. There are leaks, squeeks, rattles, things electrically that don't work, etc..  sorry to be a pessimist. Mark

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 19:22:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by ranchomerced

I hate to say this but you really think this car will be ready in August? Unless these photos were taken a year ago...That is a few days more than two months away.... they still have lots to do just to remove the rusted parts. I tell my customers we are only half done when the car is assembled and running after a restoration of this magnitude. There are leaks, squeeks, rattles, things electrically that don't work, etc..  sorry to be a pessimist. Mark

To echo Mr. Passarelli's commentary, when my car underwent a restoration similar in scope, it was about 18 months from the condition shown here to "delivery"--July 2000 to December 2001.  Off and on been working on the squeeks and rattles and mechanical tidbits.  Just nailed a few of them last week.  About a month ago got the car driving and running 100%...take your time and do it once and do it right.  Don't look for this car in August, perhaps August 2006?

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid
2024 Ford Mustang Mach Ex PEV

ranchomerced

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 20:35:07 »

knirk

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 02:25:40 »
Hei Finn

Godt å se at noen fra et naboland også interesserer seg for disse flotte bilene. (Just a greeting in a language that a guy from my neighbour country would understand).

My first reaction to the pictures was like Joe mentioned – what a load of work!
And when I discovered that you are from Denmark my sympathy went to your wallet. In a high cost country like yours and mine this kind of work is very very very expensive.

Don’t hesitate to ask on this sight for anything and good luck!

Per G. Birkeland
69 280 sl aut 834
Norway

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 05:19:31 »
Whether done in two months or not, please post further pictures on the progress of the restoration. I think that would be a very valuable history to keep on the site for future restoration assistance.

Jonny B
1967 250SL Auto
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

mille

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 07:08:26 »
Yes it is quite expensive, but this is the third Pagoda I own and all have been advertised as rust free California cars. Truth is that most of the so-called rust free cars on the market are more or less rusty - you may not see it at a glance, but internal rot is not uncommon on otherwise superb looking cars. I realised that it was difficult to get what I wanted and decided to go for a full blown body restoration rather than patching up, which will not pay off on the long run. It will be primed with zinc-chrome etch primer and get a multi layer MB 180 silver metallic paint and clear top coats. We have the most aggressive coastal climate here in Denmark and we live 200 m from the sea front, so access holes (8 mm) with plugs will be drilled into all cavities before painting all cavities, and special protective anti-rust oil will afterwards be sprayed into each and every cavity. Hard top will be stripped from chrome/rubber parts and rubbed down and resprayed too. Interior is fine, so is the soft top and transmission etc. Suspension will get new rubber bushings etc. and probably new shocks. Only thing that worries me is to get the engine up and running again - we had a problem with uneven running/jerky ride before we took it to the body shop.

I will post more pics and text along the (hopefully) fast progress.

/Finn