Author Topic: ETHANOL GASOLINE  (Read 2269 times)

n/a

ETHANOL GASOLINE
« on: June 28, 2005, 10:45:23 »
Gentlemen:

I was at our local filling station Sunday AM filling up with premium gasoline for a run with the M-B Club of Ottawa with my '70 280SL Automatic.  I think I was probably complaining about the 96 cents/litre cost as well.  The owner of the station was telling me that after 2007, all gasoline sold in Canada would be 7% Ethanol. I don't know how factual this information is, but I can see it happening. I don't know if that would be a good or bad thing, but am concerned about non-compatiblity with a 35 year old car.  Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Jim Hunter
Ottawa, Canada

JLHunter

George Davis

Re: ETHANOL GASOLINE
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 11:22:57 »
Jim,

ethanol blends are fairly common in the US now.  Here in Portland we have a 10% blend every winter, whether we need it or not (we don't).  North of us in Washington, 10% blend is sold year-round at many stations.

I have not had any problems with ethanol blend fuel, and don't expect any.  However, ethanol is a good solvent, and if there is a lot of varnish and crud built up in your fuel system, this stuff can be knocked loose and plug up the fuel filter when it's first used.  When ethanol was introduced in Portland a few years ago, many people though we were doomed, but this was a problem for only a small percentage of cars.

It might be a good idea to replace the fuel filter after the first few tankfuls, but otherwise should be no problem.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

n/a

Re: ETHANOL GASOLINE
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 14:04:51 »
Thanks, George.  We've had them in Canada for quite a few years, but to purchase as an option, not the only game in town.  I guess it's the same as when unleaded came out in the early 80s, we'll just have to try it and see.  Thanks for the info.

Jim
Ottawa, Canada

quote:
Originally posted by George Davis

Jim,

ethanol blends are fairly common in the US now.  Here in Portland we have a 10% blend every winter, whether we need it or not (we don't).  North of us in Washington, 10% blend is sold year-round at many stations.

I have not had any problems with ethanol blend fuel, and don't expect any.  However, ethanol is a good solvent, and if there is a lot of varnish and crud built up in your fuel system, this stuff can be knocked loose and plug up the fuel filter when it's first used.  When ethanol was introduced in Portland a few years ago, many people though we were doomed, but this was a problem for only a small percentage of cars.

It might be a good idea to replace the fuel filter after the first few tankfuls, but otherwise should be no problem.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

JLHunter