Author Topic: Reservoir tank  (Read 2316 times)

saygold

Reservoir tank
« on: July 02, 2005, 10:57:31 »
I got tired of seeing the puffs of smoke exiting my exhaust pipes, and determined that I needed to replace the valve seals.  As long as I was doing that, I might as well fix all the other possible problems at the same time, such as installing new valve seals, replace any bad valves, regrind the valves, etc.  While waiting on parts, I’m cleaning the engine compartment.  Naturally, I came across a problem immediately, and would appreciate some help.

There is a hose between the cooling system reservoir tank and the radiator.  There is a small diameter metal insert on the reservoir tank that the hose slips over and is clamped to.

The metal insert on the reservoir tank came loose when I was removing the hose.  No threads are visible for one to be screwed onto; possibly indicating that it is a press fit.  There were no leaks in my cooling system before I started working on the car.  

Question:  What’s the best way for re-installing the metal insert –solder, weld, gorilla glue…?  It has to sustain cooling solution up to its boiling point.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ken Deter
66 230SL (euro) 4-speed

Vince Canepa

Re: Reservoir tank
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 11:13:56 »
I think your 230SL should have a brass tank.  I think you could just resolder the line to the tank.

Vince Canepa
1967 250SL
113.043-10-001543
568H Signal Red
116 Caviar MB-Tex

saygold

Re: Reservoir tank
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2005, 15:14:44 »
Yes, the reservoir tank is brass.  I'll get it soldered.  Thanks for the info.

Ken Deter
66 230SL (euro) 4-speed