Author Topic: hooking up new wire harness to fuse block  (Read 1869 times)

CJHenderson

• Silver
  • USA, AR, Benton
hooking up new wire harness to fuse block
« on: June 19, 2023, 13:04:22 »
I'm in the process of getting ready to start installing the wire harness. I noticed that the new harness has several wires color that are different from the OEM harness, which means that I can't trust that this is a correct installation. My question is, how should I proceed?
1970 280SL/8 W113 101624 miles.
1950 MG-TD
2021 Harley Davidson CVO Trike

Lorsar

• Membership Administrator
  • Senior
  • USA, NC, Charlotte
  • 1968 280SL (US)
Lori
1968 280SL (US)

Leester

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Lorton
Re: hooking up new wire harness to fuse block
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2023, 14:47:08 »
Several thoughts: (1) seems like the maker of the harness should be able to provide the info you need. Years ago I bought the Rhode Island harness that had excellent instructions. (2) I think you have to identify the end user of each wire, then determine where that wire attaches to the fuse block. The Tech Manual has wiring diagrams and I found them helpful where I had questions. (3) you might have to go through a process of elimination - it sounds like you know some wire's end user - eliminate those wires - then concentrate on the unknown's to match the correct end user to the correct wire - then using the wiring diagrams match that end user and its wire to the correct location on the fuse block.

Or follow Lorsar's suggestion.  Good luck.  Lee
Lee Backus
1963 220SE Cabriolet
1970 280SL (reassembling - hopefully soon)
1978 450SL (disassembled for paint)
1985 500SEC

lpeterssen

• Vendor
  • Gold
  • USA, FL, Miami
Re: hooking up new wire harness to fuse block
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2023, 10:44:36 »
Dear Mr. Henderson

I have no problem in guiding you through the installation of that new wiring harness into your car.  Just write me directly, and I will try help you in the best possible way.

At the end, I will ask you to sell me your old used wiring harness at a discounted price if that is ok with you.

Best regards
L.Peterssen