Author Topic: Fuel Catalyst  (Read 2446 times)

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
Fuel Catalyst
« on: July 07, 2005, 07:47:35 »
Has anyone used or is using a fuel catalyst in the Pagoda?

I was wondering how the car is performing?
Are they easy to install?

A search on google (fuel catalyst) produced many brands all saying much the same things.

1. better fuel economy
2. smoother running engine
3. cleaner emission
4. cleaner plugs

I already use optimax unleaded fuel.

Any comments welcome

Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

Malc

Re: Fuel Catalyst
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 08:03:46 »
What they don't say is that they are cattle pooh

There have been numerous tests carried out in the UK by recognised groups such as the VVCC, RAC, AA etc and mags like practical classics. Most have been reported to the advertising authorities in the uk and now you don't see any adds for them anymore....

This includes the "special alloy of tin and other rare metals"
methods of "magnetising" the fuel and other stuff

Tip a bottle of injector cleaner, octane booster, or even lead replacement stuff in you tank now and then if you want to

I guess you mean the Shell product OPtimax which is a higher octane rating (97 RON uk) than the usual unleaded (95 RON).Trouble is here the quality varies badly. I know someone in the Scottish rally fraternity and he had a Subaru engine tuned and set up to run on it. Next rally the engine blew up! Fuel sent to be analysed
and it was "way off". The standards have lower and upper limits as wide as a barn door
Hence I use "Carless" fuel which is formulated very exactly and is equivalent to 99 RON unleaded, and still chemically meets the standard for road fuel which is all you can use....
Mind you at over £5 a litre I don't use it every day [:p]
Malc
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 08:06:33 by Malc »

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 03:09:04 »
Malc,
Thanks for your comments, I was hoping some USA experts might also offer comments/advice based on experience.

I have been using the Optimax since 11/2003 and have had no problems with it but any additional mileage out of a tank of fuel is welcome.

The reason I asked about the Catalyst was that the makers say there is a fuel economy improvement and also the engines run more smoothly with less emissions.

All the rhetoric on the web sites make them out to be the best things since sliced bread.

again thanks

RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

Malc

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 04:22:17 »
No worries Bob,
The guy running his Subaru had it tuned right to the limit so one bad batch of fuel would do the damage. However for cars that are relatively low stressed than it's not a problem
Only thing here is that the price differential between regular unleaded and Optimax is around 5 pence a litre and with normal unleaded petrol running at an average of 87pence a litre it's expensive.

Cheers
Malc