Author Topic: Questions about the data card and missing color codes for a '68 280SL  (Read 2979 times)

Matt_H

• Junior Level
  • Canada, British Columbia, North Vancouver
I have tried to search the site for these questions thank you :)
I have asked a couple seemingly educated Pagoda people and they seem stumped, but each have suggested I post it here and see what the community has to say.

1. Both my data card and plate under the hood are missing the color codes (just has "---") for both the body and the hardtop. Does anyone know what this means? I have been told it could be a custom color that was not offered up for sale, but have reached out to MB classics and they are going to do some digging with Germany to see.

2. Also the engine data plate (sorry for the bad condition), there is a code of 992, which I have somewhat deciphered as special order. Again trying to get the production order from Germany, but if you know anything about this code as well that would be great.

3. On the data card there is also a box in the top right with the title Hinweis and a "2" coded in there. I have seen explanation for a "3" code as it seems to relate to special requests like show car "detailing". I did find some possible info on the site here, but there is very little so still going to ask here.

I have attached a couple photos and the data card for review. Much appreciate any helpful answers :)

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
Hello Matt, this is all very interesting

Might be worth messaging these two owners on this post, who both have option code 992, and see if they found out anything more since they posted

https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=17495.msg121171#msg121171

It does appear that the code may be for a show or exhibition car, does you car have any other changes from the norm, engine paint difference, lack of spot welds?  It may explain the lack of a colour code as well, perhaps a special order

Mention of Hinweis 2 on this post, and i found some other posts mentioning this if you have a search

https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=34162.msg250067#msg250067

Good luck
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 10:02:59 by BobH »
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather

Matt_H

• Junior Level
Thanks BobH!

I will email those two people as I had not seen that post, but the other one yes I had seen thanks :)

As far as I can tell there is no different engine paint. I have seen a black coated head option on a 5 speed in my internet travels (https://scottgrundfor.com/for-sale-1971-mercedes-benz-280sl-zf-5-speed-standwagen/) that had a 997 code, but the listing does a good job of explaining codes 994 through 997.

Spot welds are there from what I see as well.

I have sent a few emails out to try and help me decipher and will post it back if I find anything. Is a a bit of a mystery as to what it all means, but not having the color codes listed (along with supporting documentation) seems to be the first time anyone has seen that.

Matt_H

• Junior Level
Got a response from MB classics the other day about some of the questions I had posted and though I might share to help others, and see if anyone had any additional thoughts with this piece of added info.

'The Hinweis #2 on the data card means that there is a page number 2, the car was ordered in a special color. This explains the code 992 special version.

This is the information that is on page 2"

I read it as the color ordered was "Pfauenblau" - peacock blue is the translation. And not sure if the hand written numbers are the paint code (I can find nothing associated with that number though).

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
So, is your car blue?  I couldn't tell by the pic of the engine bay option code plate.

Maybe these guys could get a sample made up for you?  Fill out this form for getting a color they don't have listed.
https://www.paintscratch.com/cgi-bin/missing.cgi
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

Matt_H

• Junior Level
It was repainted a different color before my uncle took ownership many years ago. I have inherited it and trying to do some digging on what the original color was and what the dashes "---" meant as many folks have told me they have never seen that and feel it was originally a special order color that would have been unique (now supported by what Mercedes has said).

I have spots in the engine bay that do reinforce the fact it was a "blue" at some point haha (see a example attached)

rwmastel

• Platinum
Yes, I read the thread and understand your research.  Glad you're looking for your original info, and that's a nice shade of blue.  Did you look up underneath the dash?  That may show a well preserved area of original paint.  If you need/want to paint it, the classic center should be able to guide you in the right direction to get a formula from Herberts or Glasurit (maybe they know which?) for 909 Peacock Blue.
Rodd

2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon

Matt_H

• Junior Level
Yes it is a nice color..red leather interior as well so I feel its actually a interesting combo even today. I would personally like to get it back to original color if it was a special order, so want to get as much detail as possible to do it right.

Yes I am trying to get confirmation that the "909" is the code from Mercedes Classic as nobody can seem to find even a "909" example or see that it was even an option. I have just been emailing back and forth, but may need to call them directly to expidite things a bit :)
I have not looked under the dash, but will later today

rwmastel

• Platinum
Do you have a really low serial number?  Like, under 100?  Perhaps it was a car put on display somewhere or in a major car exhibition/show by Mercedes-Benz to promote the new 280 model.
Rodd

2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon

Matt_H

• Junior Level
I believe my "serial number" is either "495" based on the production number on the data card, or "1711" coming out of the VIN. Either way not under 100, but earlier yes.

rwmastel

• Platinum
Re: Questions about the data card and missing color codes for a '68 280SL
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2023, 19:09:32 »
I meant to say VIN, so 1711 is not particularly early.  Makes the Special Order even more curious! 
Rodd

2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2023, 19:26:48 »
I will email those two people as I had not seen that post, but the other one yes I had seen thanks :)
I am sorry that I didn't respond but I had no clue what the 3 dashes in your data card and paint plate could mean.
... This is the information that is on page 2"

I read it as the color ordered was "Pfauenblau" - peacock blue is the translation. And not sure if the hand written numbers are the paint code (I can find nothing associated with that number though). ..
Given this information I did a bit of searching for "Pfauenblau" and what comes back is a paint code that is available today, even on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Color-Paint-Mercedes-Automotive-Touch/dp/B0B1VZJD59?th=1
However the paint code is 5913.
Searching for "5909" brings up "Kaiserblau" as the color.   ???
Here a links to a French list and a Swedish list, both of them show 5909 and 5913:
https://nsmf01.casimages.com/f/2023/04/11//23041106031926523611186.pdf
https://www.bilfarg.se/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/mercedes.pdf

The years entry in the French list muddies the water even more because neither code was apparently available in 1968.
Whether these two compilations are correct is, of course, unknown.

Here is a photo of a W111 resprayed supposedly in 909 color, but there called "nautical blue":
https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/1965-mercedes-benz-w111-250-se

Keep on digging!
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Matt_H

• Junior Level
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2023, 19:47:38 »
Yes I agree it adds up to a real curiosity as to what I have here haha. I will keep updating as I discover new pieces of information :)

Matt_H

• Junior Level
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2023, 19:50:26 »
Thanks 66! Yeah the dashes seem to have stumped many folks, but clearly based on the info from Mercedes the car was a special order paint color. I will be calling MB classic in the next few days if I do not get an email back just to see what other information I/they can gleam from Germany on this car or such. I think there is a back story here, just need to piece it together if at all possible 50+ years later

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2023, 19:55:53 »

Yes I am trying to get confirmation that the "909" is the code from Mercedes Classic as nobody can seem to find even a "909" example or see that it was even an option. I have just been emailing back and forth, but may need to call them directly to expidite things a bit :)

Funny that! I have a listing of Mercedes option codes which shows that "909" by itself for the period of January 1962 through January 1970 was "Anti-tow-away device, rear.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

rwmastel

• Platinum
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2023, 19:58:30 »
Are you working with Classic Center USA or Germany?  Does Classic Center Germany work well in English?  Using them might cut out the middleman if the guys in California are just forwarding requests/information to Germany.
Rodd

2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon

Matt_H

• Junior Level
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2023, 20:25:26 »
Are you working with Classic Center USA or Germany?  Does Classic Center Germany work well in English?  Using them might cut out the middleman if the guys in California are just forwarding requests/information to Germany.

I have been dealing with folks in CA. I do not speak German at all and would assume the folks at the classic center have a better shot of getting anywhere with this than me directly. The US team was how I got the data card so I just went back to them again on these questions.

To be honest I have not even looked at contacting Germany directly. This may be a dumb/simple question, but is there a way to contact Germany directly that you can quickly share?

rwmastel

• Platinum
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2023, 20:43:58 »
From here:  https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/vehicles/mercedes-benz-classic/classiccenter/

Write us an email:
classic@mercedes-benz.com
Call us:
+49 711-17 30 000
We are here:
Stuttgarter Str. 90
70736 Fellbach
Rodd

2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon